Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Alcohol, why does anyone even bother?

Story is, my friend and I who ive hung with since the start of time, has become an alcoholic, and were both in year 11, he goes out drinking with his buddies around 3-4 times a week (with GCSE's fast approaching) ive said to him maturely and sensibly that he should stop, or cut down as exams coming up and all i get is "dont care" "not bothered" "itll be fine"

He gets alcohol from one of his friends as hes over 18 and can buy from shops so all the other underaged drinkers just give him money and ask for whatever they want, now they both hae fallen out because the alcohol buyer said he shudnt have any as hes got school tomorrow, it shows how dependant my friend is..

How do i get him to realise hes throwing his life away at an early stage,

cheers
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've seen a lot of lives destroyed by alcohol, and getting someone off it is incredibly difficult. I'd suggest talking to FRANK, they'll be able to give you some good professional advice.
    Ill take a look later, cheers.
    Does he drink when at school and other inappropriate times of the day? If not, he may be abusing alcohol and even be somewhat dependant, but its doesn't necessarily mean that he is an 'alcoholic' - yet. I think its wise of you to be concerned, highlight the risks to him and find him some informed council.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey, gonna move this to the drugs forum. :)
    Also, his attitude would also suggest that there's an underlying problem that has made him turn to alcohol.

Maybe it's worth talking with him about it.
    Teagan wrote: »
    Does he drink when at school and other inappropriate times of the day? If not, he may be abusing alcohol and even be somewhat dependant, but its doesn't necessarily mean that he is an 'alcoholic' - yet. I think its wise of you to be concerned, highlight the risks to him and find him some informed council.

:yes:
    Well today he was ignoring me all day, i even was tapping him to get his attention. And no he doesnt drink in unapropriate places.
    He goes and drinks in some park somewhere with his drinking buddies..

He sometimes goes home at dinner as he "cant be bothered" with the afternoon which is 2 lessons..

Its worrying me.
    Sounds like he is just being a teenager, to be honest, mate.

Just leave him be. The more you bug him, the more he will ignore you.
    Righto ill keep that in mind :)
    g_angel wrote: »
    Sounds like he is just being a teenager, to be honest, mate.

Just leave him be. The more you bug him, the more he will ignore you.

was thinkin this myself tbh!
    Thing is he never used to drink he was the fantasy type who played WoW and final fantasy (by fantasy type i dont mean imaginary)

And now he goes out drinking 3 times a week it doesnt make sense imo :P
    well he was hardly gonna be born with a bottle of beer in his hand!

sounds like hes growin up! :p
    Thing is he never used to drink he was the fantasy type who played WoW and final fantasy (by fantasy type i dont mean imaginary)

Don't stereotype!

I'll tip back several bottles of wine in one evening, and Final Fantasy is still my love :heart:
    Hmm FFVII :D

Everyone goes through a transition phase as a teenager. People change, he'll probably start listening to different music and branching out. It's all good though.

Just be thankful he's only drinking and not out at the weekends taking E's, speed, acid etc. at an age too young to fully understand what he's doing to himself... :o
    Even though I understand he's just "being a teen", that's no excuse. GCSE's? He can't be older than 16. It's still a problem, he can still do some dangerous damage to his kidneys.
    i was flat out at 16/17 :shocking:
    z- wrote: »
    i was flat out at 16/17 :shocking:

Haha aye I've been drinking since I was 13 ffs.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Haha aye I've been drinking since I was 13 ffs.

I think that's all too coomon for anyone from this part of
    the world, that were 90's kids.
    You sound like a good friend.

I think if you wade in, as said before the dudes just going to freeze you out and get more into his booze.

He'll realize one day either before or after his GCSE's that he has messed up and thats the point he'll need a mate like you to help pick up the pieces.

Keep on your with studies and let him choose his own path, sometimes people need to make these mistakes as its the only way they will learn.
    ^^ sound advice!
    Hey
    I agree that you're a good friend - unfortunately your friend can't see that at the moment, but there's nothing wrong with caring about what happens to him.

I'd suggest you take a look at some of the articles on TheSite - this one on dangerous drinking has some useful signs to look out for to see if your mate's drinking is getting out of control. There's also some advice on how to overcome a drink problem and how to care for a drunk mate.

If you're still concerned, try calling Drinkline on 0800 917 8282 - they'll be able to offer you advice on how to best approach and help your friend.

Good luck :thumb: