Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Milk

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, on Monday there appeared in our fridge a note by a glass bottle of milk saying that it was the cleaner's milk. Fair enough.

Tuesday there was a new note asking if whoever it was could stop drinking it.

Today there is a note on the front door asking for a new bottle of milk to be bought. It wasn't me but there are only 6 of us in the flat and I can see there being a bad situation (ie the uni getting involved) if whoever it is doesn't replace the milk. Someone in or with access to our flat is quite light-fingered it seems. I don't know about everyone else but in addition to the milk, my butter, sausages and scourer have disappeared and my washing up liquid has been routinely used (my flat is a little hostile so we don't share essentials.) I have ended up hiding my washing up liquid. We don't have lockable cupboards like a lot of halls which is a problem as well.

Anyway, what should I do about the milk? I spoke to one of my flatmates and neither of us want to pay for something we didn't use and neither of us ever has milk unless we need it for cooking as we both drink fruit teas and don't have cereal.

I really hope they sort this out because I can forsee important people taking action. They're a bit overboard with some of the things around here.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    To be honest, there's no use crying over drunk milk.

Just buy another one.
    Firstly why is the cleaner leaving milk in your fridge? That's just weird.

Secondly it's a bottle of milk. It's going to be what, 10p each if you all pay it.
    Mist wrote: »
    Firstly why is the cleaner leaving milk in your fridge? That's just weird.

Secondly it's a bottle of milk. It's going to be what, 10p each if you all pay it.

I didn't even think about that. But that is weird. She should get her own fridge!
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Buy your cleaner some more milk and stick a note on it telling them to get their own fucking fridge.

You could out of princible not replace it, or you could just fork out a few pence for an easy life. I know what I'd choose, but then if I knew who it was that was nicking it I'd go fucking mad.
    Weekender Offender 
    Well the flatmate I spoke to agreed with me that we'd pay the money if they split it between us, which is fair enough.

I wish I knew where things kept disappearing to!

To be honest, I have no idea why she keeps her milk in our fridge. My only guess is because we're the first flat so she can make a cup of tea when she comes in in the morning.

I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens tomorrow before I go off to Tesco.
    Well the flatmate I spoke to agreed with me that we'd pay the money if they split it between us, which is fair enough.

I wish I knew where things kept disappearing to!

To be honest, I have no idea why she keeps her milk in our fridge. My only guess is because we're the first flat so she can make a cup of tea when she comes in in the morning.

I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens tomorrow before I go off to Tesco.

Well she's not there to make herself a cup of tea and watch Trisha, she's there to clean the fecking flat.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Have you spoken to the cleaner? Where's the proof it was their milk?

Nice trick to earn money. You buy a bottle of milk, put it in the fridge and say it's the cleaners. Then you drink it (it's yours anyway) and pretend you're the cleaner and that someone else did.

I could leave a note in your fridge saying that I'm the prime minister and the milk is mine, would you believe it just from a note?
    it's tricky because you dont want to be the one buying replacement milk whenever someone drinks it but i think i'd replace it this once and put a note on it saying that it definitely wasnt you, but here is a replacement? not sure
    Have you spoken to the cleaner? Where's the proof it was their milk?

Nice trick to earn money. You buy a bottle of milk, put it in the fridge and say it's the cleaners. Then you drink it (it's yours anyway) and pretend you're the cleaner and that someone else did.

I could leave a note in your fridge saying that I'm the prime minister and the milk is mine, would you believe it just from a note?

No, I wouldn't believe it, because I don't think Gordon Brown is likely to be in my kitchen, hehe.

It looks like her handwriting from the brief example I saw of it in the Christmas card the flat got from her.

If the milk isn't replaced tomorrow, I'll attempt to talk to the flat (one of them refuses to talk to the other 5 of us though) and decide what to do.
    Good lord... you've not touched the milk. Don't worry about it. If she kicks up a stink, bill her for a service charge of refrigerating her chilled liquid.

Seriously, if you've not touched it, don't agree to replace it, and don't lose any sleep over what's going on with it. It's not your mess, it's not your problem. :)
    Good lord... you've not touched the milk. Don't worry about it. If she kicks up a stink, bill her for a service charge of refrigerating her chilled liquid.

Seriously, if you've not touched it, don't agree to replace it, and don't lose any sleep over what's going on with it. It's not your mess, it's not your problem. :)

actually i agree with this :)
    you replace it this once, but tell the cleaner not to leave their milk in you fridge as you can not be responsible for its safety
    If it's a shared house and the cleaning lady is hired by the housemates, I would simply fire her. If it's a halls of residence and she is hired by their office, then I'd inform the office.
    I wouldn't replace it, it's your fridge, it's there for YOU and your housemates, fair enough if the cleaner wants to put stuff in there but she has no right to expect it to be left alone. If it starts to get a bit stressful etc. just talk to the college administrator, they're friendly people like you and me and at least at my uni I am pretty sure mine would tell the cleaners to use their own fridge ;).

FWIW I am one of those annoying people that happily uses other people's milk for cups of tea, so feel free to flame. Although I just expect other people to use mine, as well.
    Ah yeah, it's a hall of residence. I'm still a bit confused as to which way I should go about it as you have all given me advice which potentially would sort it out, I'm just trying to think of the best one :)
    Just choose how confrontational you want to be over a 50p bottle of milk, and then take whatever action.

To me there's a few seperate issues here -

1. If someone in the flat is routinely nicking stuff, then that's a problem.
    2. That the cleaner is using your fridge.
    3. That the cleaner is claiming someone nicked her stuff that she left in your fridge without any permission, and is wanting it replaced.

They can all be dealt with or ignored, really.
    I don't see the money being a problem, but it's the availability of whatever you're after. Think about making a sandwich, only to find that your your last 3 slices of bread had gone missing. Not a crust in sight in the vicinity. That's the gist of my post.
    Why is the cleaner taking up space in your fridge? She's not entitled to leave her milk in your fridge surely? Ask her to contribute towards the space she's taking up, say 10p a day should cover it? Did she ask ye if she could leave milk there in the first place? If she's so worried she shoud take UTH milk thing around with her???
    She didn't ask me personally but might have asked one of my flatmates. To be honest, as we're the first flat I rarely see her because I'm still asleep when she comes in :)
    Is it all resolved now? :)
    Not that I've noticed. She still doesn't have any milk but nothing further has been done so I guess wait and see.