Home Health & Wellbeing
At The Mix, we want to make our services as helpful as we can. To do this, we’d love to ask you a few questions about you, your visit to The Mix and its impact. It should take only about 5-10 minutes to complete. Take this survey and get a chance at winning a £200 Amazon voucher​.
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Sign up here

Smear test

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
im nearly 24 and would really like a smear test i know its required now at 25 but i constantly think about it and had some pain in my ovaries a while ago but the doctor gave me some tablets and it cleared up and i have alot of discharge aswell so am always worrying theres more to it. Can i ask for one or will they just say no

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    mazajac wrote: »
    im nearly 24 and would really like a smear test i know its required now at 25 but i constantly think about it and had some pain in my ovaries a while ago but the doctor gave me some tablets and it cleared up and i have alot of discharge aswell so am always worrying theres more to it. Can i ask for one or will they just say no

    Of course you can! Just go in and make an appointment! They can do other tests for you while you're there as well. 25? In Scotland you start getting smear tests at 21.
    It's nothing to be worried about either, so I say just go and make an appointment :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    it used to 21 but they raised it as its supposed to be not as common with younger then 25 but still happens
    will defo make an appointment and see what they say
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's fine. I've had it done twice and I'm only 18 (having problems, but nevermind) and my GP and then the hospital decided I should have it done but I'm sure if I asked they would've done it.

    Plus it's fine :) they don't (or at least my doctors didn't) use the metal speculums any more so it's not freezing cold :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I dont know if they will just give you one, it might depend on your doctors.
    I tried to book one in january (although i wasnt due one until march) because i am due to be out of the country until november and they told me that it would have to wait until november
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Does anyone know why it is 25 in England but 21 in Scotland/Wales? I would feel a little sheepish asking my doctor for one, he may just think im going for the 'Jade Goody' effect and fob me off?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was once told I didn't need one as I don't sleep with men. This was having just been offered it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    piccolo wrote: »
    I was once told I didn't need one as I don't sleep with men. This was having just been offered it.

    What?! Surely that doesn't even make sense.

    I mean, they screen virgins too - and surely they haven't slept with anyone. Yet.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What?! Surely that doesn't even make sense.

    I mean, they screen virgins too - and surely they haven't slept with anyone. Yet.

    They don't always screen virgins, as long as they know you are a virgin - they probs assume that at 25 not many people are, and it isn't worth the embarrassment of asking everyone.

    The vast majority of cases of cervical cancer are caused by a virus which is only passed on during sex. I think that's their reasoning, although I would say it's flawed, because just because Piccolo hasn't slept with a man doesn't mean any partner(s) haven't, and they could still pass it on.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Your'e supposed to have a smear every 3 years from when you start having sex.
    I've had two and im 24 but only because of wierd abnormal periods and other probelms.
    I'm going go bk my docs and ask for one past 5 month my body been wierd for me period wise.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Olive wrote: »
    They don't always screen virgins, as long as they know you are a virgin - they probs assume that at 25 not many people are, and it isn't worth the embarrassment of asking everyone.

    The vast majority of cases of cervical cancer are caused by a virus which is only passed on during sex. I think that's their reasoning, although I would say it's flawed, because just because Piccolo hasn't slept with a man doesn't mean any partner(s) haven't, and they could still pass it on.

    Oh...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's not just sexually active women that need smears. Girls on the contraceptive pill do too, regardless of sexually activity. I (shamefully) was 29 having my first smear, all ok tg, have had 3 since. the smear itself was grand, I had a nurse do it, I felt more comfortable. You go & ask for your smear, don't worry about what your doctor thinks!
Sign In or Register to comment.