Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What career?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am looking for a career in something and I don't know what to go for.

I have poor GCSE's. A GNVQ in Int. Science. I have a qualification in an NVQ2 Bus Admin.

A weeks worth of working in a printers. 2 weeks worth work experience with Bradford & Bingley Building Society.

I have a part qualification in Webpage Design, which I didn't complete.

When I finished school I went to college to study my NVQ and went to the RAF Careers office where I failed the entrance test TWICE becuase of my maths. So I have given up on it.

Now I have a boring job working in a factory. I need to get out and look for something else.

I want a career but I don't know where to look for one. I need something exciting, a hands-on experience and I have no idea what to do.

What I really want is a job in the Ministry of Defence, but as I live where there isn't a 'base', I am finding it difficult in finding a job.

Any help?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Or to put it another way.....How can I apply for a job in the MoD when there isn't one advertised!?
    50 views and no replies.?
    I think you should spend more time researching what sort of thing you want to have a career in. Reading your post I don't have much of a clue what you'd like to do with your life.

You say you want to work for the MoD, what exactly do you want to do there? Do you know? If so then why don't you ask them to provide you with information on how to start a career in it? Or if there are some jobs available to get your foot through the door?

Also, are you willing to move for a job? Study more?
    I have considered about the moving option, but I don't think I'll cope.

I am looking for an 'exciting' career, but I don't know what to do when I have those qualifications.
    To be honest, most jobs and careers are routine and not too exciting in the long run. People may tackle different things and have a varied job 'where no day's the same' but usually it becomes a routine as well.

For example, I control air traffic. It was super exciting at first. Now it's just a job I do. I still enjoy it but I'm ridiculously relieved to go home at the end of the day. No day's the same and yet I'm living a deja vu.

If you're not willing to move and your dream workplace doesn't have any work on offer in the neighbourhood, isn't it a bit unrealistic to be aiming for that?

I think you need to get a bit realistic about what you want to do and how you see your future. Think about what sort of stuff you are interested in and what motivates you. Also keep an open mind to jobs on offer. For some people a random job may turn out to be their dream job.
    I had a job interview at the MoD in Northwood a few months ago. I didn't go in the end because my current agency improved my contract terms.

I've said this to a lot of people and I'll say it again, if you have web design skills, you can cream an absolute fortune online. I don't know whether that "part qualification" is truly representative that you have web skills, but there's money there to be had if you're good at what you do.

I left school at 16 and weaved my way through a couple of tough learning jobs that expanded my skill set and allowed me to nail down a pretty decent role in my current agency.

In the meantime, I've been finding other ways to make a living online and it's got to the situation where I've given up my job to go it alone with my own business. I'm doing affiliate marketing. It's a bit of a niche market and most people who enter it will come away with a loss of money to their name. But if you know what you're doing on the web, you can really expand quite rapidly. I'm comfortably earning five figures per month from it at the moment.

You've gotta be willing to put the time and effort in to making your own "dream job" a possibility though. I've been a virtual anonymity amongst my mates for the last 6 months. I've been buried in books and going out of my way to make sure that I'm successful at what I do. If you don't have the conviction to go out actively hunting down those opportunities, you're gonna end up stuck in the 9-5 trauma of a dead end job.

The chances of somebody on here being able to change your career trajectory is pretty remote. Maybe go for a long walk and ask yourself some questions? Iono, the nature of most jobs depresses me - which is why I prefer to work for myself.
    tehfincheh wrote: »
    I had a job interview at the MoD in Northwood a few months ago. I didn't go in the end because my current agency improved my contract terms.

I've said this to a lot of people and I'll say it again, if you have web design skills, you can cream an absolute fortune online. I don't know whether that "part qualification" is truly representative that you have web skills, but there's money there to be had if you're good at what you do.

I left school at 16 and weaved my way through a couple of tough learning jobs that expanded my skill set and allowed me to nail down a pretty decent role in my current agency.

In the meantime, I've been finding other ways to make a living online and it's got to the situation where I've given up my job to go it alone with my own business. I'm doing affiliate marketing. It's a bit of a niche market and most people who enter it will come away with a loss of money to their name. But if you know what you're doing on the web, you can really expand quite rapidly. I'm comfortably earning five figures per month from it at the moment.

You've gotta be willing to put the time and effort in to making your own "dream job" a possibility though. I've been a virtual anonymity amongst my mates for the last 6 months. I've been buried in books and going out of my way to make sure that I'm successful at what I do. If you don't have the conviction to go out actively hunting down those opportunities, you're gonna end up stuck in the 9-5 trauma of a dead end job.

The chances of somebody on here being able to change your career trajectory is pretty remote. Maybe go for a long walk and ask yourself some questions? Iono, the nature of most jobs depresses me - which is why I prefer to work for myself.

Thank you for the reply. You've been helpful :thumb:
    Sometimes its required to move if you see a really really good job. Sometimes tying yourself down can mean that you limit the oppertunities you have to make the career you want.
    After re reading your psot, I realise you must be willing to move if you thought about joining the RAF. With your maths do you think its possible if you had better confidence with it, that it wouldnt be so bad? Get one of those GCSE revision books or something and practice some maths, if it is something you want to go for then work at it!
    Either that or join the Army, Math requirement is less than RAF on the entrace test, Join the infantry :)
    I've given up on the armed forces.

While on holiday in Scotland a few weeks ago, there was an ad for a deckhand on a luxury yatch which I could have done. But didn't do anything about it.

I keep thinking about going o my job centre, but I know it will be a waste of time!

I don't want to be sat at a computer all the time. I want to be outside doing something. But I just have NO IDEA what I want to do!
  • Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    I've given up on the armed forces.

While on holiday in Scotland a few weeks ago, there was an ad for a deckhand on a luxury yatch which I could have done. But didn't do anything about it.

I keep thinking about going o my job centre, but I know it will be a waste of time!

I don't want to be sat at a computer all the time. I want to be outside doing something. But I just have NO IDEA what I want to do!

Hi Mr Ferrari,

There are loads of industries that involve working outside. What about something like forestry or environmental management, farming, construction.

If you want to work on the water, then things like British Waterways or HM Coastguard need people who are "out there doing things", not just sitting at a desk.

What about seeing if there is something you can volunteer to do in this area. It's a great way of finding out what appeals to you, looks great on your CV and sometimes volunteering can lead to a job. Put your postcode in the Advanced Search on do-it and try categories like Environment or Sport and Outdoor Activities.

Good luck,

Olly
    If you want to work on a boat then there are lots of agencies around which will take people on - however to be deckhand you would be in much better stead if you had at least a competent crew qualification (also engine maintenance and a radio operators helps as well) its a weeks residential course run by the RYA but you can take it all over the UK - well pretty much anywhere that is on the water. Either that or having lots of experience - or you could go and stand on the end of a marina in the med and see if you get lucky (or the canary islands if you fancy a transatlantic crossing)

Also cordon bleu cookery skills are useful for boats.
    Nope I don't want to work on a boat.
    Because I have a problem with varicose veins and I'm prone to leg ulcers (I have one now actually!!), I need a job where I am not stood up in one place all the time, but not sat down all the time either.

I have no idea what I could do.