Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Gbl?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone tried Gamma-Butyrolactone? I heard about it in the papers the other day referred to as liquid ecstasy. I did a few searches on the internet but would ideally like some actual user reports on it.

The article said it's popular in the UK yet i've never seen any about?

Thanks. Dan.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    its basically the same as ghb

never tried it as its meant to be addictive and is fairly cheap, i dont think i could trust myself with it

readily available online, from what i can gather its simliar to alcohol.. sounds promising!
    I don't know why they ever called GBL liquid ecstasy really. It's nothing like MDMA whatsoever, the only similarity is that it's popular with some clubbers.

It is very cheap indeed. You can buy it easily online at the moment, although the goverment is going to be changing the law at some point in the near future so it cannot be bought by the public.

The effects are mostly similar to alcohol - it's a depressant, so it makes you feel drunk/floaty and slows down your thoughts and reactions. It can be fun in the right circumstances.

The most important thing to consider with GBL is that it's quite dose dependent. In other words, for example a dose of 0.5 ml could have a small effect, wherease 0.6 ml might have a much stronger effect. Getting the doses wrong can have effects ranging from making you start falling asleep, to putting you in a coma-like state for 3-4 hours, or worse suppressing your heart rate and breathing.

The people I know who take GBL are very reluctant to introduce it to anyone, as it can be very dangerous in the hands of someone who won't treat it with respect. I'd advise you to think very carefully before trying it. If you do, then make sure you use a pipette or preferably a medicine syringe to measure your doses. This has to be done accurately, as the difference between doses could mean ending up in A&E. Also, never mix GBL with any other downers, that is: alcohol, benzos, opiates, etc. This could lead to dangerous effects on your heart rate and breathing, and may cause choking on vomit when passed out, which is a quick way to kill yourself.

GBL can be good but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, purely because it only takes one person to be silly with it and it's all over. I had a very bad experience where I had a bottle of GBL and showed two guys how to measure out about 1.5 ml each. They decided to take about 5 times that amount, and I can tell you that was the most frightening experience of my life. I also know someone who overdosed on it and ended up in A&E where their heart stopped three times. These aren't isolated incidents either.
    GBL can be good but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, purely because it only takes one person to be silly with it and it's all over. I had a very bad experience where I had a bottle of GBL and showed two guys how to measure out about 1.5 ml each. They decided to take about 5 times that amount, and I can tell you that was the most frightening experience of my life. I also know someone who overdosed on it and ended up in A&E where their heart stopped three times. These aren't isolated incidents either.

Exactly, I know someone very nearly killed myself on it. The dose margin is stupidly close.
    ive read gbl converts to ghb through the body and is more damaging to the liver/kidneys than ghb.

anyone know the best substance to convert it out of pottasium and sodium bicarb?
    What a dirty trampy drug, you might as well go
    take some fricking heroin.
    Lucid-Life wrote: »
    What a dirty trampy drug, you might as well go
    take some fricking heroin.

WTF?
    g_angel wrote: »
    WTF?

What's there to WTF about.. it's addictive.. it's health risks
    aren't fully known and I'm sure there are risky consequences
    with this drug.
    It's hardly even close to being in the same league as heroin.
    It's hardly even close to being in the same league as heroin.

Who says it isn't?

Neither of them 2 sources mention GBL.. Neither of them..

Where are your sources?

Where is your evidence?

I don't have any but know that GBL is an immensely
    addictive drug and one that can impose serious health
    risks.

Might as well back-up with a soruce or two.
    FDA WARNS ABOUT PRODUCTS CONTAINING GAMMA BUTYROLACTONE OR GBL AND ASKS COMPANIES TO ISSUE A RECALL

The Food and Drug Administration is alerting consumers not to purchase or consume products, some of which are labeled as dietary supplements, that contain gamma butyrolactone (abbreviated as GBL). FDA has also asked the companies that manufacture these products to voluntarily recall them. The agency has received reports of serious health problems -- some that are potentially life-threatening -- associated with the use of these products. Although labeled as dietary supplements, these products are illegally marketed unapproved new drugs. Products containing GBL are marketed under various brand names including Renewtrient, Revivarant or Revivarant G, Blue Nitro or Blue Nitro Vitality, GH Revitalizer, Gamma G, and Remforce. They are promoted with claims to build muscles, improve physical performance, enhance sex, reduce stress and induce sleep.GBL is also known by the chemical names 2(3H)-furanone dihydro; butyrolactone; gamma-butyrolactone; 4-butyrolactone; dihydro-2(3H)-furanone; 4-butanolide; 2(3H)-furanone, dihydro; tetrahydro-2-furanone; and butyrolactone gamma.GBL related products have been associated with reports of at least 55 adverse health effects, including one death. In 19 of those cases, the consumers became unconscious or comatose and several required intubation for assisted breathing. Other reported effects included seizures, vomiting, slow breathing, and slow heart rate. There are reports of at least 5 children under 18 years of age who have been injured or who have suffered these kinds of effects.When taken orally, GBL is converted in the body to gamma hydroxybutyrate or GHB. GHB is a very potent unapproved drug. It is currently being investigated under the supervision of doctors for the treatment of narcolepsy. Because of its serious side effects, GHB should not be taken unless in the context of these FDA approved investigations. FDA and the Justice Department have ongoing criminal enforcement actions against GHB. GBL should not be taken.Products containing GBL are sold in liquid and powder form. They are sold via the Internet, in some health food stores, and in some gymnasiums and fitness centers.Consumers are advised to dispose of any products of this type in their possession. If they have experienced adverse health problems from use of these products, they should promptly contact a physician. FDA requests consumers and physicians to report adverse events to FDA's MEDWATCH 1-800-332-1088.The Trimfast Group, Inc. has agreed to recall the product Revivarant, 32 ounces of liquid in a plastic bottle, and Revivarant G, 200 grams of powder in a pill bottle. Other companies manufacturing products containing GBL are being asked by the FDA to voluntarily recall them.FDA is considering all potential regulatory actions at its disposal if products containing GBL are not recalled. The agency will act expeditiously to protect the public health.
    http://www.drugwatch.org/research/gblghb.htm
    Exactly - if it was that bad, you think they would have included it? GHB is mentioned though, and it's way down the list.

Where are YOUR sources? Where is YOUR evidence? You say you don't have any, so how can you make such claims?

There is certainly the issue with dosage, that is well known. But Heroin? I don't think so.
    Exactly - if it was that bad, you think they would have included it eh?

Where are YOUR sources? Where is YOUR evidence? You say you don't have any, so how can you make such claims?

Look up ^^^^

I'll get you more if you need them.
    More more more evidence of it's potency and the extreme
    liability for one to overdoes easily, quite possibly because
    it's addictive.
    What are the dangers of GBL?

The DEA has documented more than 15,000 overdoses and law enforcement encounters with the drug, as well as 72 deaths. Other reported side effects include vomiting, dangerously slow breathing and slow heart rates, coma and unconsciousness. In spite of its dangers, GBL’s popularity has dramatically increased. The Drug Abuse Warning Network reports that in 1994 there were 56 emergency room visits related to GHB; in 2005 there were 1,861.

GBL may also cause severe withdrawal symptoms that could put a user in the hospital. Doctors at the University of Massachusetts Medical School and Harvard Medical School investigated the case of five young men, mostly bodybuilders, who had taken GBL for two to nine months. When the men suddenly stopped taking GBL, they suffered withdrawal symptoms that included anxiety, insomnia, paranoid delusions, hallucinations, tremors, rapid heartbeat, and high blood pressure. The men had to be sedated in order to stabilize their vital signs, and spent about five days in the hospital recovering.

You should also avoid the depressant GHB and 1,4 butanediol (BD), which are close chemical cousins of GBL. GHB is available in the United States only as an investigational drug for specific purposes; it can't be marketed legally but is available in street drugs such as "liquid ecstasy" and "nature's quaalude." (It has also been implicated as a "date rape" drug, according to the FDA.) BD is another industrial solvent which is also sometimes used in the manufacture of plastics.

If you're unsure whether a product contains GBL, GBH, or BD, look for these chemical names on the label: 1,4 butanediol, tetramethylene glycol, gamma butyrolactone, or 2(3H)-Furanone di-hydro. If any are present, steer clear of the product.

In particular, don't indulge in unknown "party drugs." GBL, GHB, and BD are all strong depressants, which means you should never consume them before driving or operating machinery, and mixing them with alcohol is asking for serious trouble.

-- Chris Woolston, M.S., is a health and medical writer with a master's degree in biology. He is a contributing editor at Consumer Health Interactive, and was the staff writer at Hippocrates, a magazine for physicians. He has also covered science issues for Time Inc. Health, WebMD, and the Chronicle of Higher Education. His reporting on occupational health earned him an award from the northern California Society of Professional Journalists.

http://www.cvshealthresources.com/topic/gbl
    Err - yes? But the point I am arguing is that it isn't in the same league as heroin.

Anybody could happily write plenty about the negative effects of any drug.
    GBL may also cause severe withdrawal symptoms that could put a user in the hospital. Doctors at the University of Massachusetts Medical School and Harvard Medical School investigated the case of five young men, mostly bodybuilders, who had taken GBL for two to nine months. When the men suddenly stopped taking GBL, they suffered withdrawal symptoms that included anxiety, insomnia, paranoid delusions, hallucinations, tremors, rapid heartbeat, and high blood pressure. The men had to be sedated in order to stabilize their vital signs, and spent about five days in the hospital recovering.

To me, this is quite obviously describing people that are either addicts or using waaaay more than occasionally. You will get bad withdrawal from MANY things after prolonged use.
    The Food and Drug Administration is alerting consumers not to purchase or consume products, some of which are labeled as dietary supplements, that contain gamma butyrolactone (abbreviated as GBL). FDA has also asked the companies that manufacture these products to voluntarily recall them.

WTF!? GBL being marketed as a dietary supplement?! Only in America...

The main issue with GBL is the sensitivity of the doses, which is why I agree with other posters in this thread that it should be taken with extreme caution.
    Another quote:
    The Trimfast Group, Inc. has agreed to recall the product Revivarant, 32 ounces of liquid in a plastic bottle, and Revivarant G, 200 grams of powder in a pill bottle.

Holy hell! That is just fucking stupid.
    Out of curiousity, what is your general stance on drugs? Just noticed your other very recent thread.
    Why isn't it in the same league as heroin? Why not? Why the
    bloody hell not?

One persons perspective of a drug compared to anothers is
    different, in my perspective heroin actually isn't as bad as
    it's made out to be.. so that's where it comes to mind that
    it can fall into the same league as GBL.
    Lucid-Life wrote: »
    Why isn't it in the same league as heroin? Why not? Why the
    bloody hell not?

One persons perspective of a drug compared to anothers is
    different, in my perspective heroin actually isn't as bad as
    it's made out to be.. so that's where it comes to mind that
    it can fall into the same league as GBL.

Wow - mine is that it is every bit as bad as it is made out to be.

Just to throw your own questions at you:

Why isn't heroin as bad as it is made out to be? Why not? Why the
    bloody hell not?

Temper, temper. Lmao - you do need to chill out a bit.

If you want to shift goal posts, and go against what pretty much everybody thinks (scientists included) about heroin just so your views on something else fit nicely, then go ahead. You're a fool though.
    I wasn't being angry more so trying to be humorous
    but you never caught it.. aw well.

I say heroin isn't as bad as it's made out to be because
    it's the people that use it that tend to be the bigger problem.

They over induldge in it and same can be said for GBL.

Maybe I'll get critcised for this but I believe anyone has
    the strength to say no to a life of hell through drug
    addiction.
    Thing is, I have the same view - I will never let my life be controlled by a substance. Then again, I have tried GBL on numerous occasions, and it's ok, but not great. I would never put myself in the position of trying heroin though. No chance.
    any reason why you're typing like a fucking
    eejit i mean who the wants to have to read
    when you're typing like this it just looks
    stupid as fuck mate

you didnt come across as humourous, more that you're postin with somethin stuck up your hole

don't see how gbl is all that different from alcohol tbh, has many of the same traits, main difference being it is cheaper and comes in purer form

you're doin an awfully good job of blowing stuff out of proportion and comparing it to heroin is just plain daft
    Oh no I wrote in a strange way seems to have flared up a
    temper.. hehe

I didn't mean you should go directly compare GBL with
    herion, I did say that if you go as far to start taking GBL
    you might as well try herion.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right who's to say which it is.
    Me :D:lol:
    gbl tastes fucking vile
    gbl tastes fucking vile

It certainly does. You just have to wash it down quickly.
    It certainly does. You just have to wash it down quickly.

im not to sure about drinking it, ive had small quantities a couple of times but am too worried about what it does to my health liver/kidneys. anyone got any experience with gbl 99.9%?

gonna convert it to ghb and see how that goes down
    No, I mean wash the small amount you put in your mouth with the pipette down with plenty of water. :)
    No, I mean wash the small amount you put in your mouth with the pipette down with plenty of water. :)
    Fuck that. Gelatine capsules all the way.
    Fuck that. Gelatine capsules all the way.

Surely it would melt/whateverthefrigtherightwordis the capsules?