Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Are Ofcom Taking Things Too Far?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://entertainment.uk.msn.com/music/news/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=15322976&GT1=61501&ocid=today

Only 8 people actually complained about this - but I get the feeling that folk are starting to enjoy picking up on anything that could possibly be considered intolerable just to annoy the BBC.

But then...we are giving them a lot of money so they should probably sort themselves out.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I didn't hear the comments myself because I find Chris Moyles completely inane so I don't know the context of his alleged humour.

From his past statements, Moyles perhaps doesn't like gay people much anyway so I suspect that his 'humour' may have been somewhat barbed. However, just 8 complainments suggest that it wasn't too bad.

But would he have made jokes about somebodies 'blackness'? Probably not.
    The BBC'd probably get eight complaints if someone on screen coughed without covering their mouth. I'd love to see what people have complained to the BBC about.

Also loved this non-statement:
    Ofcom said both the tone and content of what Moyles said had the "potential to cause considerable offence".
    The BBC'd probably get eight complaints if someone on screen coughed without covering their mouth. I'd love to see what people have complained to the BBC about.

Also loved this non-statement:

That was the bit that I love best!
    Surely everything has the potential to cause offense if you're sad and boring enough to twist it that way?
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    "potential to cause considerable offence" - considerable offence to 8 people.

Miserable bastards,
    That was the bit that I love best!
    Surely everything has the potential to cause offense if you're sad and boring enough to twist it that way?

Definitely - you could claim pretty much anything was offensive to you. People crying offence usually, in my experience at least, is done as an attempt to play a silencing trump-card. I'd rather listen to someone expound on why they disagree with a phenomena, rather than have them appeal to emotion and say nothing of consequence by claiming offence.
    I wonder how many of the people that complained were actually gay?
    Well that's 8 people out of the million or so that listen. Wow.
    Will Young offends me just by being a snobby middle class student-type. Can I report him to Ofcom?
    Will Young offends me just by being a snobby middle class student-type. Can I report him to Ofcom?

Of course =]
    Tomorrow we will see the story on MSN news and I can make a new topic about how 1 person complained! (Though I have a feeling more than one person might complain...)
    Ofcom always go to far. They should have one job after 9pm, and that should be to prevent things like unfair competitions and general lying. The answer to objectionable content should always be to turn over. If you want to complain to anyone about the content of a programme, it should be the television companies, who can then take your criticism on board, or not.

Why is doing an impression of someone who has an effeminate high-pitched voice a comment on the entire gay community? Will Young does have an effeminate high-pitched voice.
    How is being offended grounds for litigation?
    They need an ofofcom to complain about ofcom to.
    Whose fault is it that Ofcom is run by a bunch of poofters? ;)
    I think OfCom's argument is that if you do something offensive you shouldn't get away with it just because your audience is used to that type of humour or because your audience is so small or of a certain demographic that won't find the humour offensive.

Regardless, when we see films like Tropic Thunder with Robert Downey Jr 'blacking up' and putting on a stereotypical accent, I think it is probably unfair to criticse Moyles in this case
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Whose fault is it that Ofcom is run by a bunch of poofters? ;)

lol!
    Cook, who admits his first name is slightly poofy, added: "Everyone needs to calm the fuck down and stop being so gay about everything."
    Be interesting to see what the comissioner guy for human rights says in response to my question "is there a place for racism in comedy"...
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Be interesting to see what the comissioner guy for human rights says in response to my question "is there a place for racism in comedy"...

:yes:
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    He'll just do the New Labour thing, and answer his own question instead.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    He'll just do the New Labour thing, and answer his own question instead.

That's not a New Labour trick - politicians have been doing that for as long as they've existed.