Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Motivation?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I have pretty much lost all motivation to succeed with my uni course even though I think the subject is interesting.

It doesn't help that I tried hard for my january exams but didn't do very well. I am half thinking what is the point? Most days it seems I couldn't care less and, as much as I want to have it, my motivation only seems to appear on a few select days/ hours.

Is there anything I can do to help? I'm scared about the summer exams now...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey you need to hang in there. Perhaps all work and no play?

What course are you on? What year are you in?
    mrbox99 wrote: »
    Hey you need to hang in there. Perhaps all work and no play?

What course are you on? What year are you in?

This might be it. I find that when I get myself stuck in a rut, I actually just need to walk away from the desk and have some fun. I have two deadlines today due for 3pm but I feel better about it after getting hammered on Tuesday night on some rose :)
    thats the thing i hardly do any work though. i sit down with the intention to do some (like now) but get distracted because i can't concentrate on it. I'm studying microbiology and am in my second year, i really enjoy some of the modules and go to about 90% of my lectures but just can't do the work outside of uni easily. I have three deadlines in the next week too... one of which is for tomorrow... bugger.
    motivation

Hi greenday88,

Getting motivation to study is sometimes a total nightmare but you're half the way there if you enjoy your course and are attending 90% of your lectures. I also second Dancing Horse's advice about taking a break and having some fun when all you are doing is staring a blank piece of paper!

To help you stay on track why not have a look at ways to keep your motivation up when studying and whenever you think it?s all getting a bit too much think about the options that are open to you once you have finished.

Good luck with it.
    balls. i'm scared and i'm a mess. i really wanted to do a masters course, but i'm not getting the grades, I thought I knew stuff and I don't. I have to get at least a first in all my summer exams and thats not going to happen. I suck at exams. I suck at explaining myself in the questions.
    I still need motivation and I'm fed up of this now.
    Don't bother answering. I just need to get this out of my head. :confused:
    Just think how much your degree's costing you. If that doesn't motivate you, nothing will.

If you're feeling stressed, see what your union's offering. Our union does aromatherapy, massage and stress management courses during exam time.
    Also, try and get more disciplined with yourself.

Balance the work and play, and by work, I mean *work*, not sitting down thinking of doing some. Set yourself targets each day and stick to them. Reward yourself for doing so. For example, do x number of past exam questions, go to pub that night.

If you think you understand the stuff, but can't get it across in exams, then it's technique you need to look at. Talk to your tutors, see if there's any study skills support around the uni.

At the moment, your lack of motivation is taking over your life, *you* need to get it back under control.
    Hey greenday. I think this is something a lot of students suffer from really and I suffer from it a fair bit. It is related marginally to depression and whilst that sounds dramatic it doesn't mean having full blown depression or anything. One of my friends who works for a company who deal with depression explained to me a lot of students don't give themselves a proper routine - if you work full time you wake up at 7.30am, go to work for 9am, and that routine in itself is motivational and helps strives off the "cant be bothered .... " element.

I suggest trying for a week to go to bed at a good time, wake up, have a shower, have a good breakfast, then start some work as if you were at a real job working 9-5. Maybe even go to the library to do your revision so that it feels like you are going "out to work".

Sorry if this does sound a bit dumb but it is tried and tested for me personally, and according to my friend who actually works in that field as a medical economist there is some theoretical background to it relating to depression.

Like Scary Monster says if you balance your work and your play in a fixed routine it will further help. The problem with being a student is that you have to be your own boss, and it's something I'm not very good at and I'm sure other students aren't either. Sitting at your desk at home it's soo easy to go on facebook all day lol. When you're at work your boss will sneak up behind you and shout at you to do some work. I guess that's the role we have to give ourselves :(