Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is it right to criticise Jade and the media

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm sorry the discussion of my post in the Jade tribute thread has hijacked it, and I wont take any part of that, as it isn't appropraitre to discuss it there.

Skive wrote: »
Apart from showing lacking any empathic concern it implied relief.
I feel I showed a lot of empathy for her and her children. Perhaps you should reread what I wrote?
And if you read the rest of the post I quoted there are personal attacks on her as a parent.
I think she was a terrible parent, but the 'attacks' were not on her, but on those who sought to justify her continuing pursuit of the limelight as being selfless... those being the media outlets that profit by manipulating their readership into buying commemorative issues of Saint Jade.

And I recognised that by breaking the social contract of not speaking ill of the dead, or of mothers, I would upset people but the nonsense being peddled by the likes of OK! is upsetting to me and others, so I'm not going to let it go unchallenged.

Comments

• Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    I'm sorry the discussion of my post in the Jade tribute thread has hijacked it, and I wont take any part of that, as it isn't appropraitre to discuss it there.

I feel I showed a lot of empathy for her and her children. Perhaps you should reread what I wrote?

I think she was a terrible parent, but the 'attacks' were not on her, but on those who sought to justify her continuing pursuit of the limelight as being selfless... those being the media outlets that profit by manipulating their readership into buying commemorative issues of Saint Jade.

And I recognised that by breaking the social contract of not speaking ill of the dead, or of mothers, I would upset people but the nonsense being peddled by the likes of OK! is upsetting to me and others, so I'm not going to let it go unchallenged.

I just find it slightly ironic that in making your remark about getting some peace from the media coverage you've now set off a long debate about it.
    Why does this always happen? Instead of letting things blow over, be patient, ignore it and let things run their course, people stir things up and make them into an even bigger deal than they were in the first place, adding fuel to the fire and prolonging everything for even longer.
    To be very honest, other than my mum letting me know Jade had finally passed away, bless her; the only place I've come across anything about her is on here. (Yeah I know, I don't read magazines or newspapers and I rarely watch the news).

I'm of the opinion that since we do live in a celebrity obsessed culture and we do take notice when famous people encounter everyday problems, it's not a bad thing that Jade has made her ordeal public. It has made people sit up and take notice of what they can do about their health; and it's made people more aware of the hundreds of nameless people who are suffering in the same way.

I don't think we need to drag up all her faults to examin them, nor would I feel I had the right to tell someone else how to live their life or provide for their kids.
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    I just find it slightly ironic that in making your remark about getting some peace from the media coverage you've now set off a long debate about it.
    Why does this always happen? Instead of letting things blow over, be patient, ignore it and let things run their course, people stir things up and make them into an even bigger deal than they were in the first place, adding fuel to the fire and prolonging everything for even longer.

Yep. Successful attention whore was successful.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit

Why not 90% of the posters have somthing negative to say, it wasn't just you.

Yep, but your first line implied relief - that now she's dead you might be able to get some peace. Certainly that a current theme amongst a lot of people.

I think she was a terrible parent

Nothing I've seen suggests that she was a 'terrible' parent.
    but the 'attacks' were not on her, but on those who sought to justify her continuing pursuit of the limelight as being selfless... those being the media outlets that profit by manipulating their readership into buying commemorative issues of Saint Jade.

Her pursiut of the limelight was the way she made her living, how is that any more selfish than you or I going to work?
    Joe public isn't as manipulated by the media as you might think. Intrest in Jade has always been high and because most people don't like speaking ill of terminally ill mothers anything reported in the media is generally going to be positive. Still lets be fair, there's certainlly been a lot of negativity as well.

How does it upset you,
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Lu_C wrote: »
    To be very honest, other than my mum letting me know Jade had finally passed away, bless her; the only place I've come across anything about her is on here. (Yeah I know, I don't read magazines or newspapers and I rarely watch the news).

I'm of the opinion that since we do live in a celebrity obsessed culture and we do take notice when famous people encounter everyday problems, it's not a bad thing that Jade has made her ordeal public. It has made people sit up and take notice of what they can do about their health; and it's made people more aware of the hundreds of nameless people who are suffering in the same way.

I don't think we need to drag up all her faults to examin them, nor would I feel I had the right to tell someone else how to live their life or provide for their kids.

Spot on.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    ^ I agree.

xxx
  • Options

i agree with all that except the bit about terrible parent because I dont really know that. I think somethings were at a direct contrast to how i would do things, especially towards the end.
  • Options
    Jade who?