Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Harvard Referencing question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
If I want to use a quote from an author, and the original quote references someone else, do I need to reference both authors?

the quote in question is from a guy called Kubilius and the quote is
"The primary factor in determining e-commerce user loyalty, according to Anders, is
having a web site that is "user friendly and easy to navigate."

if i was going to quote it in my text using
Kubilius (2004) highlights the importance of this by stating “the primary factor in determining e-commerce user loyalty, according to Anders, is having a web site that is ‘user friendly and easy to navigate.’ ”

Is that ok, or is there anything else i'd need to do?

cheers.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Umm i think thats ok.
    Just to make sure you could find the book/reference from Anders and put a date in or something, but i think if you mention his name it'll be ok.

Dont take my word for it though!!! If you're unsure ask ur teacher
    I think that would be ok, but I would be tempted to include Anders as a seperate reference too. In a recent essay I wrote:
    The process of asset expropriation by large shareholders in which they give themselves (either legally or illegally) assets and profits from the company has been termed ?tunnelling? (Gao & Gerhard, 2008 p.592 references Johnson, Porta, R Lopez-De-Silanes, & Shleifer, 2000) and is the most serious current issue of governance failure in China.

with bibliography including both as full references
    Gao, L., & Gerhard, K. (2008). Corporate governance and tunneling: Empirical Evidence from China. Pacific-Basin Finance Journal , 591-605.
    Johnson, S., Porta, L., R Lopez-De-Silanes, F., & Shleifer, A. (2000). Tunneling. American Economic Review , 22-27.
    For every coursework I've written I've always used this link:

http://libweb.anglia.ac.uk/referencing/harvard.htm

That should answer any question you have regarding the reference system. I've written my fair share of reports.:)
    mrbox99 wrote: »
    For every coursework I've written I've always used this link:

http://libweb.anglia.ac.uk/referencing/harvard.htm

That should answer any question you have regarding the reference system. I've written my fair share of reports.:)

:shocking: Anglia Ruskin Uni! Thats my uni! Oh yea we rule :thumb:
    Is there a reason why you can't just use the original source? In your excerpt, Kubilus doesn't seem to be adding anything to Anders

Or haven't you got access to that?
    Big Gay wrote: »
    Is there a reason why you can't just use the original source? In your excerpt, Kubilus doesn't seem to be adding anything to Anders

Or haven't you got access to that?

Well if you have read Anders and taken your ideas and such from that, but he quotes Kubilus, there's no point reading all of Kubilus just to reference the one point when the essay is based on Anders. If that makes sense? In some cases it's fair enough but a lot of the time there is no need to read a whole other article or book just because what you're reading has a reference to them.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Well if you have read Anders and taken your ideas and such from that, but he quotes Kubilus, there's no point reading all of Kubilus just to reference the one point when the essay is based on Anders. If that makes sense? In some cases it's fair enough but a lot of the time there is no need to read a whole other article or book just because what you're reading has a reference to them.

errr.... I quite disagree. There is a need to read it, although you usually won't need to read a whole book. That's what references are for. Not doing so makes you look lazy.
    www.neilstoolbox.com.

If you have all the information, it'll form your references for you. :) .
    ShyBoy wrote: »

Cheers to everyone who has replied.

The Anders quote in question is from a newspaper article that hasn't been archived online, so it would be quite difficult to track the original source down.
    :rolleyes: