Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

BR tax code - getting a refund

i started my new job at the beginning of march.

i get paid next week. its highly likely ive been put on BR taxcode. im hoping not but if thats the case, it means i'll get emergency taxed and will end up with about £100 less in my pay packet.

if this happens, how do i get it back? will it go into my next pay packet automatically or do i need to do something at the end of the tax year (in april)? if so, what do i need to do?

cheers.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    you get it back automatically, but not quickly.
  • Options
    Yeah you're supposed to get it back automatically, but I never did when it happened to me.

I ended up writing a letter to the tax peeps and got it back within 3-4 months of being acknowledged for my letter. I would suggest ringing them up first and just making sure they are aware of the situation.
  • Options
    If this is the only time you get paid this tax year then you'll have to apply to the tax office to get your overpaymnet back as the tax year ends on the 5th April and they cant carry overpayments into next year.

Once the new tax year has started and you have your first payslip, ring your tax office Use this to find it and ask them for advice, you'll probably have to write to them with your P60/P45's etc and they can caculate what repayment you may be due. And get onto your payroll department to get your tax code corrected asap.
  • Options
    eeek, really? :(

how do i go about getting a p60? do i get that off my present employer or previous employer?

i finished my old job a few weeks back now but im still waiting on my p45. i gave them a ring today and they told me it will be at least 21 days before i get it. they are being a pain about it. stupid agencies :(

what if i can't get any of these documents? have i got no way of getting it back?
  • Options
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but it's kinda relevant:

PB, since you're a tax guru - when I was working over the summer I was earning enough for them to charge me tax (as had I been working that much for the whole tax year I would have been over the threshold), but obviously since quitting I haven't had any other taxable income. Will I need to do the same with my P45 or should I get it back automatically? It's a couple hundred quid which I could nicely do with so any info would be lovely :).
  • Options
    In the absence of PB, I can answer a few questions..

blah blah blah - you'll get your P60 from whoever you are employed by on 5th April. You are legally entitled to a P60 - you will get it. Incidentially, remember it is your responsibility to keep your P60 in a safe place - you can never get a reissue of it and there's only one copy of it made.

Franki - you need to write to/phone the tax office. The P45 is actually a four part document - you've probably got Parts 1A, 2 and 3 all joined together but there is a Part 1 which your former employer will tear off before they give you the rest and they have to file this with the tax office (either actually send it in or enter the data online, depending how they do it - I think all big companies have to do it online now) so the tax office should have those figures and dates on your record.

I think the theory is you'll get it back automatically but in reality these things take forever and need chasing up to get someone to press the magic button and get the cheque sent out to you. If you'd worked somewhere else during the same tax year it would have all been sorted out through the new payroll, but as it's (almost!) now in a previous year you need to discuss with the tax office direct.

HTH - am sure PB can assist further :)
  • Options
    Hrm... I never got my tax back, when I was on BR
  • Options
    You need to claim it back.

I had to claim tax back when i became a student half way through a financial year - i phoned the tax office at the beginning of April and they sent throug all the stuff i needed pretty quicky and i filled in the form and got the rest of the tax owed to me resonably quickly in a cheque.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    You need to claim it back.

I had to claim tax back when i became a student half way through a financial year - i phoned the tax office at the beginning of April and they sent throug all the stuff i needed pretty quicky and i filled in the form and got the rest of the tax owed to me resonably quickly in a cheque.

Wouldn't they just see at the end of the year through your total actual earnings how much tax you paid and are owed back?
  • Options
    I think that we are missing the bigger picture here.

-
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Wouldn't they just see at the end of the year through your total actual earnings how much tax you paid and are owed back?

That's the theory, but you think of the thousands and thousands of people in that situation... The tax office are notorious for bad systems and delays - they need shoving into gear if you want action!

I wrote to our local tax office for work last month and phoned the other day to check they'd got my letter - found out they're running at a FIVE WEEK postbag delay so it hadn't even been opened yet, let alone actioned.. :rolleyes: :yeees:
  • Options
    That's the theory, but you think of the thousands and thousands of people in that situation... The tax office are notorious for bad systems and delays - they need shoving into gear if you want action!

I wrote to our local tax office for work last month and phoned the other day to check they'd got my letter - found out they're running at a FIVE WEEK postbag delay so it hadn't even been opened yet, let alone actioned.. :rolleyes: :yeees:

Plus the opening of post in strict date order (my main local tax office for work is about seven weeks delay on average)

HMRC are well known with accountants for being slow and useless for getting things sorted. It taken me several phone calls to get things actioned before.
  • Options
    eeek, really? :(

how do i go about getting a p60? do i get that off my present employer or previous employer?

i finished my old job a few weeks back now but im still waiting on my p45. i gave them a ring today and they told me it will be at least 21 days before i get it. they are being a pain about it. stupid agencies :(

what if i can't get any of these documents? have i got no way of getting it back?

Thats a massive delay (my old agency took about six/seven weeks to sort my P45 sorted, keep chasing them)

As Crystal Tipps, says, you will get a P60 from your current employer in May, and then you can use that to claim your tax back. It doesnt hurt phoning in the mean time to get a address to write to, find if they need any other information etc.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but it's kinda relevant:

PB, since you're a tax guru - when I was working over the summer I was earning enough for them to charge me tax (as had I been working that much for the whole tax year I would have been over the threshold), but obviously since quitting I haven't had any other taxable income. Will I need to do the same with my P45 or should I get it back automatically? It's a couple hundred quid which I could nicely do with so any info would be lovely :).

I'm guessing you havent had another job this tax year and wont get one this tax year? In case you need to ring (I know you have a phone problem, I can get you the address etc if you prefer) to your local tax office, using the link I posted above and ask for the address to write to. And send that to them with your Parts 1a, 2 and 3 of your P45. They get a lot of requests from students, my brother only worked holidays at uni and used to claim his tax back each year, its only a couple of hundred but it does make a difference. You have to keep on top of it though, they can take a while to answer, ask for their postbag delay rime when you ring, add a couple of weeks onto that and then chase after that time if you havent heard anything.

If anyone wants any more info, or needs to know anything specific they dont want to post on here, you can always PM me. I'm always happy to help.
  • Options
    Thanks pb :). I haven't had another job, no. Much to my mother's disappointment. The address would be really handy :). Will it matter if I do it after the new tax year starts? My mum has my P45 back home as she was the one who collected it from my old job. Thank yoooooou!
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Thanks pb :). I haven't had another job, no. Much to my mother's disappointment. The address would be really handy :). Will it matter if I do it after the new tax year starts? My mum has my P45 back home as she was the one who collected it from my old job. Thank yoooooou!

That'll be fine, I need one piece of information from the P45 to get (hopefully) the right tax office, so let me know when you have it and I will try and work my magic. :)