Home We Need You
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Ten teenagers

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Here's an opportunity to have your story promoted - for free! If you've got an inspirational story to tell, and are fed up with the media only reporting negative stories about young people, then join the Ten Teenagers campaign: www.tenteenagers.com. ING Media is looking for ten inspiring stories, and they might get you into the press.

:thumb:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Stereo Type

Why do people think that just becuase i am half black and i mc that means im a criminal!?
    How did that even come about ... Some black/Mixedrace mc's may commit crimes but that has nothing to do with there love for music!
    Mc'ing is what i love to do,
    Mc'ing is what i do to free myself,
    Mc'ing is what i do to express my feelings.
    How does that make me a criminal???
    Also becuase i am only 17 and 6ft 2' at school i was told by a teacher that i should be more responsible because of my height .. i'd like to know how my teacher figured that one out!!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A Teenager's Take

Type “Teenagers in the news” on Google, and you’ll notice that the first result states ‘Teenagers and street crime’. Scroll a little further down the page and you’ll see ‘Teens eaten by Satanists’. Not really an encouraging sight. It’s no wonder so many people have such a distorted view of their next generation, as, according to the media, all these hell-supporting adolescents do is roam around the streets late at night, being rowdy, smoking and drinking God-knows-what, and, most importantly, looking for someone to stab.
    Is it okay for me to say that this view is one of sheer naivety?
    For one second, let this generation have its say on how it’s being presented to the rest of the world.
    If you make the effort and type “News results: Teenagers” into the Google search bar, the first result is what can only be described as a ray of sun shining through the cloudy abyss surrounding teenagers’ stereotype: ‘Teenagers notch up record GCSE results’. By anyone’s standards, that’s impressive. However according to the general and stereotypical view about teenagers, ‘notching up’ record results is something teens do in their spare time; in between the numerous vandalisms and stabbings they seem to undergo oh-so frequently.
    It’s a crying shame that the general public have to modify an obvious sentence, before actually touching the Google search
    bar, to find an article even remotely encouraging – rather than one which makes you want to give up hope on this rather uninvestigated species altogether.

Bad news makes good news. The face that is given to teenagers is one of which suggests each and every one are vandals; something to be avoided. If you have a teenager of your own, you’ll know they’re actually harmless individuals, and therefore any bad news about teenagers breaking the law can be quite shocking and unnerving. However anyone who’s looking in from the sidelines may wonder how on earth you can put up with one or more of these ‘hooligans’ in your home. Shocking stories sell. Especially when they hit close to home, as many of these teenager related stories will, considering the amount of people with adolescents in their families. The stories aim to make the general public shake its head, and tut - ‘It’s such a pity’.
    The vast majority of teenagers are damned by this journalistic ploy. The media can build up an army of sometimes subconscious, often conscious, prejudice against, well, anyone who makes the front page. Whether this is strangers on the street, who - according to the media and the general attitude taught from an early age - are trying to kidnap us; or simply anyone between the ages of 12 and 18 who will apparently try and mug you if you so much as have change in your pocket. It affects people’s perception and general view of society greatly.
    Shocking stories can also damage people in many ways. Believe it or not, teenagers are actually victims of the media. Much like Paris Hilton or Britney Spears, their image is broadcast to millions of people everyday. Not all teens will shave their heads or flash their crotches following this constant bad publicity, but it’s not going to do much for their self – esteem. Anorexia and depression are also side effects which may take their toll upon today’s young adults. It’s no secret that these problems are everywhere in society, and are a huge downfall to the structure and stability of the teenage population - that which is already shaken by the constant media coverage.
    Teenagers will be teenagers no matter what anyone tries to do about it. The ‘teenage way’ to get through some of the toughest times is to find someone else who’s going through it at the same time and tackle it together: hence cliques. Chavs, Goths, Emos, Punk Rockers, Mainstream. The majority of adults won’t know the difference, and will therefore label the whole teenage community as one… which is where all the problems occur.
    The newspapers aren’t likely to point out that it’s actually only a tiny proportion of young people who are actually partaking in the violent behaviour of “typical teenagers” – that won’t sell papers. This has led to a huge proportion of the adult population feeling worried and threatened by anybody 15 or so years younger than themselves.
    This was proved in a recent survey done by Barnardo’s on the subject. One result stood out a mile. ”44% [of the 393 youngsters surveyed] said bad behaviour is encouraged when the media portrays their peers as misbehaving”. This leads us to a vicious circle. How is the behaviour of the unruly going to change, if it is caused by the media, who aren’t willing to change their angle? Why should teens try to rid of this frowned-upon, animal-like image when no-one will listen to them anyway?
    Society is a harsh place for teenagers. Unemployment is high; under the age of 17 and the ability to get around is very difficult, especially if both parents work. This leads teens to having to try and entertain themselves, or get attention, whether it is at home or from the public, anyway they can. It’s obvious that doing something worthwhile is overlooked by the
    papers – which leaves bad behaviour as an open door.

Those results are the truth. What the adult population said about teenagers, however, is completely shocking. Over 50% of those surveyed labeled all teenagers as ‘feral’, which led 43% to say that adults need methods of protection from children. What does this say about the vast amounts of teens that have been proven to hold the majority of volunteering spots throughout Britain? Thousands will work their hardest right the way through to University, just, it seems, to pass through the teenage stage and finally become accepted in society. The media and general attitude towards teenagers will make it increasingly difficult for them to get part-time jobs because of how they look and are “supposed” to act; which will probably have effects later in life when they come to have kids of their own.
    It’s not ‘the teenage way’ to be misbehaving – it’s a release of numerous factors which are built up from the environment in which they live. This doesn’t mean they’re something to banish and ignore – Not every teenager in a hoody instantly means trouble. Not every teenager has an ASBO. Not every teenager is something to fear.
    It’s time to see it’s the same with any generation – not every unfamiliar person on the street wants to kidnap you; just like not all teenagers want to hurt you. The small minority of these troublesome
    teenagers need help, not exile. It’s the 21st Century - surely it’s time to step up and stop the prejudice?

:)
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    :wave: Thanks for your responses - it's interesting to read your views and experiences related to young people in the press.

Have you heard about our Respect pledge? take a look and if you agree with the ideas then please do go ahead and sign it. :thumb: