Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Getting into Teaching

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys

Basically, my boyfriend wants to be a primary school teacher. He's starting to get his responses from Uni's, but he's being rejected from all his first choices, and the Uni's that have accepted him don't actually do the primary teaching course just "Education Stuides"

Are there any other ways into teaching apart from getting a degree from Uni?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Hiya
    I've just looked on the TDA, the Government's website on getting into teaching and it says:

"[after deciding you want a career in teaching] The next step is to plan for the best way to achieve your qualified teacher status (QTS), enabling you to teach across state-maintained schools across England and Wales. This almost always means completing a programme of initial teacher training (ITT)."

So it sounds like you always need to go through training, not sure about getting an actual degree. I would take a look at their website as it seems very comprehensive: http://www.tda.gov.uk/Recruit.aspx

We also have an article and case study about getting into teaching on TheSite.org - although it is about a secondary school teacher.

Is your boyfriend getting much feedback about why he's not getting into his chosen unis? Maybe he should think about how he can make his application stronger - perhaps by volunteering with children or at a school so he has some proven relevant experience and can show his enthusiasm? The other option is to study something else and then do a PGCE (post grad certificate in Education). This is a longer route in and means more studying, but might be a good alternative if your boyfriend is keen to go to uni now.

:)
  • Options
    Thanks

The main reason is because at this point in time he has no experience. But he is due to start at a primary school in May, but now the course is full.
    At the moment he's thinking about getting the experience and applying to Uni again next year