Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Something to do in Summer 2009

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm going to have a few months off in the summer and I really want to make the most of it and do some travelling. I was thinking of doing one of those organised projects (probably to do with animals and conservation), the ones i've looked at are quite expensive. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or recommendations. Preferably whatever I do will end up nearly breaking even.

I'm also worried about travelling alone but not sure I can imagine spending so much time with just one person if i was to go with any of my friends instead o doing a project.

Any advice appreciated.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    do you like children? how about camp america? :]
  • Options
    i am off next year travelling for a bit and thinking of doing WWOOF. a few weeks here few weeks there, take a break from city life and pick up some languages.
  • Options
    I completely agree about Camp America. Best summer of my life, without a doubt. You have to reeeeeally like kids though - even the most patient person can be pushed to their limits when you're at a residential camp sleeping in the same bunks as 8 year olds!!!

If conservation is your thing, you can get posts as Wilderness Counsellors. It involves taking the kids out into the countryside (the camp where I was had a forest and a lake) and getting them into wildlife. You also get to do a lot of camp-outs in tents and build fires and shelters. Tis all good fun.

Oh and also - check our Trek America too. Expensive tours, but well worth the money as they take you completely off the beaten track.
  • Options
    i'm doing this one in july :)
    i know its pricey at nearly 2 grand but its something i really want to do!!
    http://www.responsibletravel.com/Trip/Trip100449.htm