Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Stammering

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey im a new member here so i apologise in advance if i dont post correctly!

This is a question mostly for guys, between the ages 17-22 if poss
I am a university student aged 19, i have embarrassingly never had a boyfriend or even been on a date. but the thing is, is a have a mild stutter, where sometimes i struggle saying my name. This knocks my confidence alot.
I guess what im saying is, would a girl having a stutter bother you? would you be embarrassed by it ? Would u date a stutterer? And how do i go about talking to guys for the first time, when stuttering?

I would be really grateful for your responses. Thank you. xx

Comments

• Options
    Nah i sometimes stutter or have trouble wording and i end up getting a mind block.. i just work round it no one seems to mind :P
  • Options
    i occationally have a stutter, and its getting worse. but no one notices it, and its only me that gets pissed off with it.

just don't get stressed out by it and take a deep breath before saying things
  • Options
    Well from my experience, relationships are very complicated and take a lot of things to be right for them to work. So i would personally see a stutter as a very very small thing if i liked other things about the person.
  • Options
    Jeni wrote: »

I am a university student aged 19, i have embarrassingly never had a boyfriend or even been on a date. but the thing is, is a have a mild stutter, where sometimes i struggle saying my name. This knocks my confidence alot.
    I guess what im saying is, would a girl having a stutter bother you? would you be embarrassed by it ? Would u date a stutterer? And how do i go about talking to guys for the first time, when stuttering?

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest. :)
  • Options
    It wouldn't bother me although I'd have to struggle not to jokingly finishing your sentences with something rude/naughty - Just to lighten the mood and show it's not big deal.

If I were to do such a thing I would expect a punch in the arm or a dirty look! :p
  • Options
    A slight stutter can be quite endearing. :)
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Certainly wouldn't bother me! No girl is perfect after all!
  • Options
    it wouldn't actually bother me. i wouldn't let yourself get worked up about it :)
  • Options
    Have a boyfriend with a stammer, makes no difference to me.
  • Options
    Jeni wrote: »

I've heard when people who stutter sing they stop stuttering?

And on the bright side it's a great excuse to do less talking and more kissing .. :)
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    I've heard when people who stutter sing they stop stuttering?

And on the bright side it's a great excuse to do less talking and more kissing .. :)

I think it might freak people out a bit if they were approached by someone singing their greeting.

I think a lot of people are patient and understanding about those with stammers/stutters. There are some that aren't - but I guess that just narrows down the search.
    Wouldn't bother me if someone had a stammer.
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    I think it might freak people out a bit if they were approached by someone singing their greeting.

Lol Yeah, everytime you meet someone, you have no choice but to break out into....

'Hellooooooo......is it me you're looking for??'
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Lol Yeah, everytime you meet someone, you have no choice but to break out into....

'Hellooooooo......is it me you're looking for??'

Actually I was thinking more a musical style song...

"Hello HELLO! It's a wonderful day! I want a date with you, what do you SSSSAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY???????"

*Bloke looks nervous and slowly backs away*
  • Options
    'Hey neighbour, hey neighbour, how's the world with you? Aren't you glad to be alive this sunny morning? Did you notice that the skies above are bluuuue?'
  • Options
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeni

I'd say that, as no one is perfect, it would not bother to stutter a bit, since you also might be nervous because of the situation, and i bet so would he.

In my case, my boyfriend has a harelip, which for me is no problem, i even help him with pronunciation some times, and the funny thing is that none of us is an English native speaker :)

So, just relax and don't make such deal out of it, if you don't mind about it, the other person wouldn't either for sure.

Good luck!

June