Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How to stay calm when giving a presentation?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I have a group presentation I have to do on tuesday. Just thinking about it makes me want to throw up. I get really scared and nervous talking in front of people. I get the usual sweaty hands, stammering and whats even more embarrassing is if Im really nervous I start breathing really fast.

I have some kalms to help me but is there any other way to stay chilled out? I don't want to look a prat...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Breathe.

And chewing gum, or if you think that'll get in the way of you speaking and doesn't look very nice, try some mints. It works for me!
    How do mints/chewing gum help?
    I don't know. They just do. Maybe it's a psychological thing but I used to really struggle with exams/being under pressure and without fail I will take my Polos into an exam with me to keep me calm.

Also, how long is your presentation? Could you have a glass or bottle of water on hand to help? If you find yourself really paniced then you can stop and take a sip of water to give you a sec to recompose yourself.
    Lecturers do that trick all the time, especially when they've forgotten what to say next!
    I know it sounds cheesy but practice in front of some people. I've had to give a couple of presentations on various things - a few years ago when I was at college I would have been terrified of doing so but these days I don't really feel uncomfortable going in front of a lecture hall full of students or anything. I think it comes down to practice :/

For some things you could take, magnesium and niacin supplements may help. They both should help reduce anxiety. You can get them OTC almost anywhere, but they may have some side effects so read the stuff carefully.
    IWishIWas wrote: »
    I don't know. They just do. Maybe it's a psychological thing but I used to really struggle with exams/being under pressure and without fail I will take my Polos into an exam with me to keep me calm.

Oh I see. I was just wondering if its effective, I might try it. :)

As for the length, its split up between 4 people and we ideally should have 2 pages of material each. So Im guessing about 5-7 minutes each.

Shyboy - Its funny you should mention that I should pratice because my dad said practice. Although he said read it to the cat.
    xsazx wrote: »
    mint works as a natural anti-nausea thus is likely to be physically and mentally beneficial

Yessss.
    I hate presentations too. This sounds weird but I pretended that I hated everyone in the classroom. like really they all were idiots. Then I just didnt care what they thought and went for it. It seemed to work too.
    You have nothing to worry about! I have a presentation to do next week at an interview, trust me that is far worse! I would much rather do one at University that's a piece of cake, no pressure at all.

You'll be fine, you just need to remember to breathe! Also as said practice loads and that will give you confidence in itself. Good luck!
    I hate presentations too. This sounds weird but I pretended that I hated everyone in the classroom. like really they all were idiots. Then I just didnt care what they thought and went for it. It seemed to work too.

Thats one I didnt think of! Good old reverse psyhocology, and practise, practise, practise.
    They say picturing everyone naked helps, but I think that's a load of rubbish! How can you think about people naked while trying to give a presentation! You'd get your words and thoughts all mixed up!
    Picturing everybody naked would give me a boner coz id look at the hottest girl in the room then get called a perv for staring lol

It just comes down to pracise like shyboy has said.. ive done a few n i was terrified now i just think to myself "i have to do this.."

and do it!
    One thing you could do, is try speaking in front of a group of friends or family just to practice..
    I have a group presentation I have to do on tuesday. Just thinking about it makes me want to throw up. I get really scared and nervous talking in front of people. I get the usual sweaty hands, stammering and whats even more embarrassing is if Im really nervous I start breathing really fast.

I have some kalms to help me but is there any other way to stay chilled out? I don't want to look a prat...

I find the amount of knowledge I have about the subject gives me confidence.

What was most scary was whether I looked like I knew my stuff and had something interesting to say. When I have prepared in the past I have read all of the notes out while looking out the window, just phrasing and rephrasing to a point where I feel I'm going to be able to show some confidence in my knowledge. It helps being well researched so that you can answer any questions too..

Hope that helps.
    S
    mrbox99 wrote: »
    I find the amount of knowledge I have about the subject gives me confidence.

What was most scary was whether I looked like I knew my stuff and had something interesting to say. When I have prepared in the past I have read all of the notes out while looking out the window, just phrasing and rephrasing to a point where I feel I'm going to be able to show some confidence in my knowledge. It helps being well researched so that you can answer any questions too..

Hope that helps.
    S

I do that lol, pretend in my head they are asking me questions and say out loud just maybe when I'm walking or sitting on my own how I would answer.
    I just pretend that I have the confidence even though I don't, it's all about putting on a front. Pretend you know everyone there and you're just giving a presentation to your friends.
    Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

The presentation went OK. Bit of a technical problem at start but thats about it.

The presentation went OK. Bit of a technical problem at start but thats about it.

Yay, I'm glad!

:yippe: *needs a hand clappy smilie*