Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Thousands of temp jobs in danger

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Click

I don't understand business all too well, so maybe people can clarify...

Just how is this gonna improve things with the credit crunch?

Comments

• Options
    "As announced in the Budget 2008, the staff hire concession is to be withdrawn from 1 April 2009 as there is no basis in UK or EU law ... business has been aware of and fully engaged in the review, which has lasted over 18 months."

Note the last sentence 'business has been fully engaged in the review'...

Didn't want to panic the little people with such trivialities I guess...
  • Options
    I've never really understood why companies employ temps anyway. They have to pay the temp agency far more than they'd actually have to pay an employee.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I've never really understood why companies employ temps anyway. They have to pay the temp agency far more than they'd actually have to pay an employee.

It is a lot less hassle, the temp agency takes care of the weedig out the people and finding canidates which costs the company time and money, preparing them, you don't have to worry about going thru all the hassle and time/money of hiring somebody to worry about them quitting in a week and irrilevent here, but here (in the US) depending on the type of job, it often does cost less to go thru an employment agency as then you don't have the added expenses of health/dental/life insurance, workers comp, retirement/401k benefits ect. I got my current job thru a temp agency. They paid the agency $5 more an hour than they paid me, so $800 more a month. However, I know what my employer pays for my health insurance and thats over half of that for that one benefit alone.

Plus, going around finding office jobs is a pain in the ass for the person looking and by going thru a temp agency the employer and worker can pick and choose for their best fit.
  • Options
    Because you can do what you want with a temp... They don't have the same legal protection as a permenant employee.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Click

I don't understand business all too well, so maybe people can clarify...

Just how is this gonna improve things with the credit crunch?

if the total cost to a company to hire a temp is £100 of which £90 is the temp's wages and £10 is the fee from the employment agency they'll have to shell out £15 in VAT now instead of £1.50

I'll be surprised if the government don't scrap this tax hike, especially given the economic climate and how close we're getting towards the next election. Plus Gordon Brown is the Prime Minister no one voted for just got the job through the side door .. so he'll want to be doing everything he can to win votes.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Because you can do what you want with a temp... They don't have the same legal protection as a permenant employee.

Yeah, but is it worth it?

When I worked for a temo agency when I was young I was getting paid £4.50 an hour. The company I was temped out to was paying £12 for me.....
  • Options

When I worked for a temo agency when I was young I was getting paid £4.50 an hour. The company I was temped out to was paying £12 for me.....

It obviously must be otherwise they wouldn't do it. Also you might get peaks of business where you need someone to just cover for a few months, maternity leave, etc. Plus as stated they don't need to worry about payroll, NI and tax, or finding people or worry about getting rid of them after, the agency will deal with all of that.
  • Options
    ^^ yep, and they don't have to do your appraisals, work out sick pay, holidays, disciplinaries etc. They have no responsibility for you and can sack you with no notice and have a replacement temp the next day. Much cheaper and less hassle than a permanent member of staff.
  • Options

That's quite common .. often at the low end temping agencies can earn more per hour then the person doing the actual work.

I remember the girl that came to work in the company I was in - and was only after a few months we found out she was only getting a fraction of the money the company was giving to the employment agency. Can't remember how much but was less then half.