Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The uncomfortable face of Police coercion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/mar/01/kingsnorth-power-station-climate-camp

Again, another story about the police - not senior officers, not the top brass - rank and file officers, acting in a deliberately heavy handed, cynical and vindictive manner - see also this;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/mar/01/civil-liberties-conference

Trust in the Police service is valuable resource, one that is being squandered by the spectre of surveillance (don't think we're quite at police state stage yet, but its not impossible that we should get there) and heavy handedness.

Comments

• Options
    To comment on this all I can say is to switch on digital TV and watche the police programs, over and over again you will see overly heavy handed coercion
  • Options
    Lucid-Life wrote: »
    To comment on this all I can say is to switch on digital TV and watche the police programs, over and over again you will see overly heavy handed coercion

Whenever I switch on TV programmes about the police all I see is drunken idiots fighting in the street with an ever thinning line trying to stop them.

Whilst I might agree with the OP about Kingsnorth, I don't agree with you. People are getting angrier, people are drinking more and becoming more violent.
    You can't arrest a violent drunk person with reason or persuasion.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Lucid-Life wrote: »

I agree.
    WhoWhere wrote:
    People are getting angrier, people are drinking more and becoming more violent.

So the police should behave more and more heavy handed?

These programs show that drunk people in general get treated very badly by the old bill - often where the drunk person is angry it is only because the police have treated them in a way that would get anybody upset (drunk or not).
    I undertsand that the police work on a friday and saturday night is filled with drunken trouble makers but that isn't justification for the police to behave like cocks towards all innebriated people.

It's not just drunk people anyway. I watched episodes of roadwars where coppers have pulled of a 17 year old moped rider for looking at them funny - and when he was upset that he'd been pulled over for no reason they gave him a seriously hard time.

I'm not saying all policemen are like this, but as an institution its fucked up. You get cunts in all walks of life granted but the the police force should an institution that tries it's damn hardest to root them out, and it doesn't. There's too many cops on a ego trip.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    When people act violently, you can only escalate the violence.

The police have a duty to maintain order, that can only be done by using force.
    Yes, some cops act like utter twats, but most don't. Their reward for acting with restraint is normally a good kicking or a fabricated complaint.
  • Options
    Whilst I might agree with the OP about Kingsnorth, I don't agree with you. People are getting angrier, people are drinking more and becoming more violent.
    You can't arrest a violent drunk person with reason or persuasion.

Agreed. I wasn't referring in the original post to that, although I accept this wasn't clear; I think that people accept that part of society has gotten out of control (literally). For my part, a couple of years experience working the first aid at a big club in Birmingham during Saturday and Sunday nights certainly convinced me of that.

What is of concern is that it seems that there are instances of a culture in which the Police are increasingly willing to overextend and excessively apply powers (such as terrorism legislation) to deal with civil protest, disobedience and general peaceful resistance to things that increasingly we are seeing that it is neccessary to act against..
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Whowhere wrote: »
    The police have a duty to maintain order, that can only be done by using force.
    Yes, some cops act like utter twats, but most don't.

There are more 'twats ' than there should be.
    Because of the nature of the job and the extra power it brings it's quite naturally attractive for cunts on a power trip.

If there's one institution that should be rooting out the bad eggs it should be the police, but they don't do enough.

Whowhere wrote: »
    Their reward for acting with restraint is normally a good kicking or a fabricated complaint.

With the police all complaints are treated as fabricated. It's at the heart of why the institution is so fucked up. I made acomplaint and was fobbed off over and over again. I had inspectors round just to try and blag me away from goign tot he police complaints commission. In the end I caved in, but I regret it.

I won't call all police scum because I know they're not, but it's an ocupation that atracts bad people and there are a disproportionate amount of cunts int the force.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one then. I think it varies from force to force.
    I've yet to hear anything good come out of the Met for instance.....