Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Smoking is Bad Now.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A teeny backstory here:
Everyone in my family smokes except me, I have always been in smoky rooms since i was like 10, my grandad smoked too and that didn't bother me, my brother smoked silly amounts of weed -it was so thick you couldn't see across the room sometimes - that didn't bother me either! Then i worked over a hot smoky grill for 6 years - that didn't bother me!

My girlfriend smokes and I am not really bothered by her smoking next to me, but recently if im sat in a room with her and her family/friends (all of whom smoke) I get incredibly tired and sometimes feel really really sick.
I am usually quite energetic in conversations and happy and it makes me wilt.

Now i can't exactly say 'nobody smoke because it will make me sick', just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to why I get like this when its never bothered me before.

Comments

• Options
    Honestly, it's different fags. You might be used to a certain kind, or a mixture of kinds. Maybe they all smoke the minging cheap kinds.

My boyfriend smokes as do many of this friends. Fine, if it's rollies. I can deal with it. As soon as an actual cigarette comes out then I feel icky. Then if they're smoking MENTHOLS I want to die. It genuinely makes me feel so ill. I've had to leave the room on several occasions to lie down for a bit when my boyfriend and his mates have been smoking. It's just urgh.

My flatmate on the other hand smokes a super cheap kind of cigarette that turns the paper in her room brown. It's gross. I can smell it through the walls and just a whiff of it makes my stomach churn.

So yes, I blame menthols or cheap ass cigarettes.
  • Options
    You could decide you don't want to be around people if they're smoking. If they care about you they'll understand if it's making you ill.
  • Options
    Sometimes that's what I think, but I also think it's really shit of me to tell everyone not to. So I go away, instead of getting them to stop.
  • Options
    I think it depends on the situation. If I go to a friend's house and they want to smoke there's nothing I could, or would attempt, to do about it. I wouldn't let anyone smoke in my house, though. Also, my sister had breathing problems when she was younger so I'd make sure people didn't smoke around her, even if they weren't happy about it. Most people were ok with it though, they know smoking is bad for you and I think most people wouldn't sit there watching someone become more ill because they wanted to smoke.
  • Options
    I think it depends on the situation. If I go to a friend's house and they want to smoke there's nothing I could, or would attempt, to do about it. I wouldn't let anyone smoke in my house, though. Also, my sister had breathing problems when she was younger so I'd make sure people didn't smoke around her, even if they weren't happy about it. Most people were ok with it though, they know smoking is bad for you and I think most people wouldn't sit there watching someone become more ill because they wanted to smoke.

Exactly, that's just it. You can't control people in their home, but I don't ever let people smoke in my flat. Not even my boyfriend.
  • Options
    You make a damn good point there wishywashy! Light cigarettes seem to be not so harsh.

As i said im fine with smoke and smokers, just strange that it affects me now :s
  • Options
    WishyWashy! Yay!

Have you been out of a smoking enviornment for a while? Maybe your body has been used to nice clean air so that going into smoke clouds makes it sad?