Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Idiot parents complain about one-armed CBeebbies host

Disability charities have expressed anger after a number of parents complained that a one-armed children's TV presenter was frightening their kids.

She has a broad range of success as an actor, both in the theatre and on television.

But parents on online forums have claimed she 'frightens' their children.

Poster Barry wrote: "Is it just me, or does anyone else think the new woman presenter on Cbeebies (Cerrie Burnell) may scare the kids because of her disability?

"I didn't want to let my children watch the filler bits on the bedtime hour last night because I know it would have played on my eldest daughter's mind and possibly caused sleep problems... and yes, this is a serious post."

Other posters suggest the BBC employed Miss Burnell to 'score points' and accused the channel of positive discrimination.

But the vast majority of comments have offered support to the presenter, who they describe as 'lovely' and 'talented'.

Make sure there are no children behind you as you scroll down, for here is a picture of the hideous monster terrorising kids everywhere:

36787494-armed-cbeebies-host-scaring-children.jpg#180,180

Honestly, some people are such fucking fuckwits they should obtain licences and pass a test before they are allowed to breed... :rolleyes:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090223/tuk-one-armed-cbeebies-host-scaring-chil-45dbed5.html
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Some people are bell-ends. Cerrie Brunell is hot.
    why on earth anyone would think it was a bad thing to talk about disabilities with their children, i have no idea.
    No wonder some kids grow up to be bullies or uneducated if parents won't let them learn that people are all different.
    complete and utter non story of the century.

So someone wrote something on a forum, who gives a crap?

How do these journalists even get their jobs?

Storm in a teacup.
    What on earth is a person on to complain about something like that? Thank goodness they're raising the next generation :rolleyes:
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    complete and utter non story of the century.

So someone wrote something on a forum, who gives a crap?

Strongly agree.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    How dare children see people on TV who don't fit the category 'normal'. WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!! !:rolleyes:
    My sister in laws were complaining about this the other day :rolleyes: - saying thier tiny babies would be scared by the nice lady - there is plenty of evidence to show that children are far more accepting of disability than adults and it just shows adults own prejudices against disability.

I can only hope that this leads to an increase of even more disabled people being shown on childrens television so they do not grow up with the same biased attitude as thier parents...
    One word. Pathetic.
    OMG. That is so wrong. She has the same right as everyone else.
    I think it disgusting what is their to actully complain about my two daughters are 7 and 3 this year and watch cbeebies kids should learn that everyone different my two are NOT scared at all they do keep askin where chris and poi the two usual presenters are though they have disabled children on something special they dont complain about that do they and that isnt anything diffrent
    I was half-tempted to write about this here when I saw it in the paper. Aladdin beat me to it again. Bastard. :p

Ultimately, this story only serves to reinforce one of my strongest-held beliefs - mainly that the Internet is stuffed full of ignorant shits. Every single person who wrote hateful and despicable abusive messages about this woman should now be punished by having one arm sawn off with a chainsaw, before being tied to a tree and beaten like piñatas.
    I do think it is pathetic of the parents, however, I can't say whether seeing someone on telly without an arm would scare me or not as a child. I do remember when I was younger there was a man with one arm cooking sausages on a BBQ and I refused to eat anything because I was scared of him.
    This comment was left on the Daily Mail's thread about this story. Almost every comment there was in favour of the presenter and the BBC. Nonetheless, this one somehow managed to make it past the Mail's moderators. I wish I was making it up, honestly.

Capture5.png

Tony from Dartford, you are the winner of the Cunt of the Day award.
    Unfortunately the world is full of ignorant people. Perhaps Tony from Dartford should stand still while I lop off one of his arms, then let's see how well he copes with his new-found "harmful disease".
    i think that's just disgusting. How can any parent say something like that. How are kids supposed to gain an understanding of equality, individuality and diversity if their parents say that everyone who isn't ''practically perfect in every way'' is going to scare their kids? I bet she's a lovely woman and just because she's only got one full arm she's supposed to be the devil. How tragic that in a society that *cough* prides itself on *cough* combating racial discrimination there are people who are happy to discriminate against a perfectly normal human being. it just sickens me
    The fact that Barry even has to mention that 'yes, this is a serious post' says it all.

There was a time, back in ancient lore, or maybe I'm just getting it from 200AD's 'Slaine', when a person (well let's be honest, a man) could not be leader if he was missing any body parts. Fortunately for Gordon Brown, this is no longer the rule, but seemingly it still applies to TV presenters. So no chat show for Abu Hamza, then.
    squeal wrote: »
    I do think it is pathetic of the parents, however, I can't say whether seeing someone on telly without an arm would scare me or not as a child. I do remember when I was younger there was a man with one arm cooking sausages on a BBQ and I refused to eat anything because I was scared of him.

But would you have been scared if your parents had talked to you about this?
    Even if kids are scared which I'm sure they might be if they haven't seen a person with a limb missing but it's up to the parents to explain to the kids about disabilities.
    Melian wrote: »

I don't know because I'm not 6 anymore. I would probably have still been freaked out though.
    Melian wrote: »
    Depends how the parents talk about it, doesn't it? Kids are naturally curious and they're gonna ask questions. If I was asked by a child why Miss Burnell had one arm, I would simply reply along the lines of "Well, some people are just born with one arm. It's nothing to be afraid of. When people are born, all kinds of things can happen. Some people are born with six toes on each foot, for example. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them - you can live with six toes. It's just one of those things that happens - it doesn't change them as people."

If, on the other hand, I replied along the lines of "it's because that person is actually a genetic freak and some kind of horrible monster", I would be condemned as an ignorant, stupid bastard. And the kids would grow up to become equally ignorant and stupid adults. Hence how a vicious circle could continue.
    Some people are absolute dicks. Disablities don't scare kids. I work with kids in an afterschool club for both mainstream schools and for kids with additional support needs. They don't bat an eye lid.

Dicks.