Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

implanon

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
anyone here got an implanon?

im pretty sure im going to have one inserted, but i wanted to know if anyone here has got one and could tell me anything about it?
did it actually stop their periods at all? make them better/worse?
any side effects?

xxx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've got one, I've had it since June 2007 and it's really good. I've not had a period since June 08 and I've not had a baby either so I suppose it's working!

It did hurt, but it got me out of cooking the dinner and doing the washing up for a couple of days and after that it didn't hurt anymore.

Think I've put on a bit of weight but I've put on so much for a variety of reasons that I think it would be unfair to blame the implant entirely ;)
    I've not had a period since June 08

Do you want one? I can give you mine?

*grumbles about the pill and how it's supposed to make your periods lighter/less painful but has had cramps for 4 days*.

My doctor said to try the implant after the pill has regulated my periods, because I went on the depo injection and it wrecked them.
    it's ok thanks, mine were bad enough as it were!
    *passes you a hot water bottle*

how come you went on the depo? that thing scares me a bit!
    it's ok thanks, mine were bad enough as it were!
    *passes you a hot water bottle*

how come you went on the depo? that thing scares me a bit!
    I went in asking for the implant and the doctor said "try the depo first to see how the hormone reacts etc". If it was just birth control I wouldn't have bothered but it's 100% about the periods (especially right now :() so I figured it was worth a shot. Then the depo gave me one 4 and a half week period, and then an epic 10 week one in September/October. It wasn't heavy or painful (well, a tiny bit when it was at the point where I actually needed to bother with tampons) but it wasn't half annoying.
    I've got the Implanon. I'm on my second lot at the moment and it's lovely. I barely get any bleeds, and if I do they are minimal (I only have to wear panty liners and am not even aware half the time). My moods are MUCH better than if I were on the pill or not on anything at all. I've had a couple of spots and my weight fluctuates a bit (I've just lost a stone and a half since I had it inserted, but this was weight I needed to lose) and I forget I have it sometimes.

I had one removed and a new one inserted so the bruising and stuff took a while to go down, I have two little scars on the inside of my left arm but nothing completely gross. Love the Implanon!
    I love it. I dont have periods and bleed very little (and even then only a small amount). I have Polycystic ovaries and the constant hormones have made things settle down a lot. My moods are a heck of a lot more stable.

I havent seen an increase in my weight due to it either.
    it seems like all your implants went well, wish mine did!

I had it some time last year, oh my god i hated it! it made my skin terriable and gave me bad mood swings. i had to have it taken out and have a scar there now and am back on the pill. it effects everybody diffrently i guess
    How did you get a scar with implanon? Unless you consider a scar no bigger than an injection mark... it really shouldn't have been more obvious/any bigger...

Have you discused your scar with your doctor? Unless it was implanted too deeply it should not have left a scar... and if it did.. is that not coverd by the NHS?
    thank you everyone!!

my doctor said it lasts 5 years.. yet im reading around and its saying it lasts 3 years only? so im slightly confused!! can anyone tell me?

ooh im only 16 btw.. if that counts for anything!! but im on the pill atm and have been for a year (microgynon 30) and the last 3 periods i have had i have collapsed several times, my body giving me no warning. ive been depressed and my cramps are so severe i start hyperventilating.

so hopefully.. this implanon is the answer :)

xxxx
    my implanon lasts 3 years, you may want your doctor to confirm.
    The new implant lasts 3 years (the old one lasted 5 years) I've been put on Cerazette for a bit (because it's the same hormone as the implant) and it's working out great! no periods for a year now :D ... just have to make my apt to get the implant :)
    I had it put in after 2miscarriges twins+1 and it was great im lucky never had a probelm with my periods i was still normal with it in had it taken out after year and got preg straight away yea went on to have a healthy girl yea and had i put back in when she was 4week old and God it was awful.Had it taken out coudnt't go on any other contrecption i'm now sterilized that was 2 year ago.