Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Study drugs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anybody used any? And do they work? Things like Ritalin. I heard about them through the grapevine from some friends at Uni, and they sound interesting. I don't normally meddle with drugs as I'm too worried about fucking myself up in the head / body (though, I drink, so I guess that makes me a hypocrit).

Anyway, I don't know anywhere near enough about things like Ritalin to just go and take it, if anyone could give me any advice or whether it's just best to avoid altogether? Apparently you can take it, sit down with your books in the library and you will get the most focussed work done ever - some universities (again, apparently) are even considering doing drug tests as it could potentially be seen in the same league as performance enhancing drugs for athletes.

Of course, that could all be bullshit, so that's why I came here to ask for advice :). I would probably use it for revision and for writing essays if it does have this godly power (although, have no idea where I would get it from lol).

Comments

• Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Has anybody used any? And do they work? Things like Ritalin. I heard about them through the grapevine from some friends at Uni, and they sound interesting. I don't normally meddle with drugs as I'm too worried about fucking myself up in the head / body (though, I drink, so I guess that makes me a hypocrit).

Anyway, I don't know anywhere near enough about things like Ritalin to just go and take it, if anyone could give me any advice or whether it's just best to avoid altogether? Apparently you can take it, sit down with your books in the library and you will get the most focussed work done ever - some universities (again, apparently) are even considering doing drug tests as it could potentially be seen in the same league as performance enhancing drugs for athletes.

Of course, that could all be bullshit, so that's why I came here to ask for advice :). I would probably use it for revision and for writing essays if it does have this godly power (although, have no idea where I would get it from lol).

Every drug different for each person?

I wouldn't be depending on drugs for your studying, imagine when you've taken so many they stop working and then you get a mother of all come downs on exam day?

That wouldn't be nice.

So only take them if you know you'll have plenty time to recover and as for which way they'll affect you, there's only one way to know for sure and that's to give them a go then sit down at your books, innit.

In fact if you do manage to get any ritalin, gimme a shout ;)
  • Options
    using uppers for studying is just a downwards spiral... may help in the short term, but will sure fuck you up in the long time

yes, ritalin enhances concentration
    if you're not prescribed a drug, you shouldn't take it (sorry i'm being such a hypocrite)

i'd stick to a cup of coffee if i were you!
  • Options
    Some people at my medical school take Ritalin before their exams so they can study around the clock and sit happily in their top centiles. In all honesty they're not the most well-rounded of individuals anyway so I question them taking prescribed stimulants which aren't prescribed for them.

I wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole, the risks don't seem to make it too appealing. If you're using it for revision and essays, I'd stick with being well organised, having a timetable planned in advance, regular breaks and a cup of coffee here and there.
  • Options
    I haven't used ritalin for study but for recreational purposes. Compared to amphetamines it's quite a clean stimulant. Possible to get hold of it if you know how, otherwise don't bother :) There are other 'study aid' drugs that may be safer, and as yet unlicensed or regulated in the UK. I'll post tonight with the names, otherwise check out bluelight, there is much info on there.

I should add that there are probably negative effects to most stimulants, including caffeine!
  • Options
    There are some 'smart drugs' which have been developed for narcolepsy and to help the military to keep their troops alert for hours on end. Bluelight will give you the details, but I will give you a word of warning. These drugs havent been widely tested, they are not licenced and if you buy them on the net you have no idea what you are getting.
  • Options
    I agree with Budda, you should think carefully about the risks involved.

Piracetam
    Modafinil
  • Options
    Maybe I'm being dumb about this, but just the idea of taking something that makes me switched on and more perceptive is kind of... exciting I guess.

Looking here: http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5594

they are basically treating it similarly to a food supplement a body builder might go on...
    The funny thing is, is that Piracetam has been studied, and "how it
    works" is still unknown. What is known, is that any study ever
    performed has not shown it to have any risks. But what receptors
    it works on is unknown.

Bottom line: It has a very </span>high safety profile

edit: though I have *strange* migraines sometimes, so taking something that alters brain function probably isnt the best idea. Are there authorised resellers of these kind of things? I know you can't post direct links, but going on google there are a fair few websites but I don't know if one is just some guy in China getting baking powder and selling it off or whatever.
  • Options
    :chin: Thinking about buying some.
  • Options
    I, and some of my friends/colleagues have used Modafinil before. Interesting stuff.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    I, and some of my friends/colleagues have used Modafinil before. Interesting stuff.

Just interesting?? I've never had anything other than alcohol before and am not after recreational stuff, just things that may help me think better. After all, body builders and athletes take supplements and stuff to make their muscles work and train harder, so why shouldn't academics be serious about the stuff they take in order to maximise their brain potential?
  • Options
    Just interesting?? I've never had anything other than alcohol before and am not after recreational stuff, just things that may help me think better. After all, body builders and athletes take supplements and stuff to make their muscles work and train harder, so why shouldn't academics be serious about the stuff they take in order to maximise their brain potential?

I've used it both for work, and recreationally. It definitely keeps you awake and keeps you focused, if you want to stay awake, and it's a strange kind of thing when taken for a laugh.
  • Options
    Hmmm, since it is not illegal to import, I have found a website that sells prepackaged pharmaceutical grade stuff so hopefully that won't be tampered - they're straight from over the counter in Germany - (manufacturer's website: http://www.aliud.de/content/default.aspx) but the shipping is like £22. (They are only £5 for 100 tablets)

I might try them, if they work, I can buy more I guess. Still, postage is expensive :(
  • Options
    Ah paid now, lets cross fingers.
  • Options
    Might be worth taking half a pill or whatever when they arrive, since you don't know the source well.

There are good sites and forums where people discuss the best/safest places to buy pharmaceuticals online. There are so many fake and ripoff sites - it's best to go with experience when you can. Probably not the best idea to post them here, but a google search should help you.
  • Options
    Hmmm, since it is not illegal to import, I have found a website that sells prepackaged pharmaceutical grade stuff so hopefully that won't be tampered - they're straight from over the counter in Germany - (manufacturer's website: http://www.aliud.de/content/default.aspx) but the shipping is like £22. (They are only £5 for 100 tablets)

I might try them, if they work, I can buy more I guess. Still, postage is expensive :(

Might I point out that all you have found is a website which says it will sell you prepackaged pharmaceutical grade stuff, in reality you have absolutely no idea what so ever what you are buying. And remember fake drugs have made their way into chemists and have been prescribed to people in the UK, so the packaging means absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    Probably not the best idea to post them here, but a google search should help you.

Doubtful, a google search will just come up with sites saying they will sell you the legit chemical, that means nothing.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Doubtful, a google search will just come up with sites saying they will sell you the legit chemical, that means nothing.
    I meant a google search for the sites advising on pharm suppliers.
  • Options
    Heh after talking to Budda I have reconsidered and might err on the side of caution lol.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if sources are allowed to be posted on this forum but as it's legal to import and there has already been a link posted I'll assume it's fine.

http://airsealed.com is extremely reputable vendor that has been around for a long time. Feel free to search Google for other peoples opinions.
  • Options
    No sources are definitely not allowed, and no importation of ritalin would be illegal.
  • Options
    I can't imagine how a drug that just speeds you up could possibly help you study. Being awake all night really won't help. It sounds corny but the best way to study is to be well rested and relaxed, not all hyped up on caffeine/drugs e.t.c.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I can't imagine how a drug that just speeds you up could possibly help you study. Being awake all night really won't help. It sounds corny but the best way to study is to be well rested and relaxed, not all hyped up on caffeine/drugs e.t.c.
    Ritalin and amphetamine-type drugs are used to treat ADHD. That might seem counterintuitive, but it does work wonders for some people I know. Whether it would have a beneficial effect on a non-hyperactive brain, I don't know.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    No sources are definitely not allowed, and no importation of ritalin would be illegal.

Also, ritalin being part of the amphetamine family in a way could be quite addictive, where from what I read Piracetam and Modafinil are pretty safe with side effects similar to those of placebos.
  • Options
    Also, ritalin being part of the amphetamine family in a way could be quite addictive, where from what I read Piracetam and Modafinil are pretty safe with side effects similar to those of placebos.

Ritalin isnt an amphetamine, there are some similarities in their effects but it isnt in the same family as meth, MDMA, dex and amphetamine.

Although both Piracetam and Modafinil wont be as addictive as amphetamine do not underestimate their addictive potential.
  • Options
    For those of you with access to the BBC iplayer I recommend you watch 'make me stay awake' a show on a few nights ago which dealt with trying to do without sleep, it features modafinil.