Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

dentist

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
I have a NHS dentist, but I want a new one.

He is horrid and seems to have no concept of hygiene with patients! (I am not being dramatic, I can assure you!)

I would like a new dentist, NHS as I am poor.

I know I am lucky to have one bla bla bla, but I dont think it is too much to ask to change your gloves between patients no?!

How do I go about getting a new one? I am not necessarily wanting to go soon, just be on a waiting list.

Can I just call any NHS dentist and state I would like to be added to a waiting list?

Someone said to call NHS direct, but I thought that was in case of 'emergencies' - obv not proper ones, as thats what 999 is for!

Anyways, please help,

Ta!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Does the place you go not have another dentist? I remember I saw a dentist that was a little rough and I hated it! I was talking to the lady at the reception and she said I could switch you to our other dentist (Private one, but he does NHS work)

Switched to him, and hes been ever so good!
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    CoolMe wrote: »
    Does the place you go not have another dentist? I remember I saw a dentist that was a little rough and I hated it! I was talking to the lady at the reception and she said I could switch you to our other dentist (Private one, but he does NHS work)

Switched to him, and hes been ever so good!

No, its a one man band :(
  • Options
    I'd deffo talk to someone at the NHS, or if you know of another local dentist ask to switch to them?
  • Options
    Ick! :yuck: I once had to see an emergency dentist when I was away at uni and he didn't wear gloves, even the nurse who was only observing was wearing them, was really disgusting!!
    If you go on this site:http://www.nhs.uk/servicedirectories/Pages/ServiceSearch.aspx?ServiceType=Dentist and type in your area, individual dentists come up in the search and tells you what sort of patients they are taking on. I don't blame you for wanting to change.
  • Options
    1andonly wrote: »
    Ick! :yuck: I once had to see an emergency dentist when I was away at uni and he didn't wear gloves, even the nurse who was only observing was wearing them, was really disgusting!!

There's likely to be millions of more bacteria in your mouth then on his hands so at least you'd think he'd want to wear gloves to protect himself from the patient's germs.

If you're planning on having anything done on the NHS then new budgets would come out in April so hurry up and find an NHS Dentist so as soon as April comes you can get treatment. The further away from April you are the less chance of getting anything done.
  • Options
    1andonly wrote: »
    If you go on this site:http://www.nhs.uk/servicedirectories/Pages/ServiceSearch.aspx?ServiceType=Dentist and type in your area, individual dentists come up in the search and tells you what sort of patients they are taking on. I don't blame you for wanting to change.

Holy crap. I just used that nhs thingy because I broke a front tooth cap and am sick of looking like Amy Winehouse (not to mention my teeth are falling to bits) and it took me 20 effing pages to find a single dentist in my area that is accepting fee paying NHS and then it was 30 odd miles away.

That's sick... and I have no car to go there... :(
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I'm not surprised, at one point a year or so back there was only two practises in the whole of West Yorkshire accepting new NHS patients, this in a county with a population of 2.2 MILLION.
  • Options
    Wow, I didn't realize it was so hard to find a dentist! I understand some recent threads now :( I thought the lack of dental treatment was out of choice.
  • Options
    Most areas have a dental helpline that you can call and they find you an NHS dentist. If you can't find the number on your PCTs website then ring NHS direct, they are a supposed to be an information service as well as advice.
  • Options
    arrrghghgh i swear this thread is jinxewd a bit of my tooth just fell off whilst i was reading this!