Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Old Bill up to old tricks?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/feb/24/racism-police-lawrence-macpherson

Only allegations at present, nothing has been proven, but potentially devestating if true...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If it's true, which I can't see why it wouldn't be then I hope the persons responsible get the punishment they deserve. They really should have known better, although I hear they resigned as soon as the allegations came to light.
    At least they're not trying to deny it.
    Nice to see The Grauniad engaging in its usual kind of gutter journalism. Coming up later this week inevitably - Polly Toynbee writes about it and gets torn to pieces on Comment Is Free by Grauniad readers. I can hardly wait.
    Nice to see The Grauniad engaging in its usual kind of gutter journalism. Coming up later this week inevitably - Polly Toynbee writes about it and gets torn to pieces on Comment Is Free by Grauniad readers. I can hardly wait.

Innocent until proven guilty much?
    Innocent until proven guilty much?
    No such thing as Innocent in the legal system. ;)
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    No such thing as Innocent in the legal system. ;)

I read a while back, the act of accusing someone of a crime is severely damaging on it's own. For example, with rape, because of the low conviction rate everyone assumes if someone is accused they are guilty, but when they don't go down it's because the system is wrong, rather than the person actually being innocent.

That was just something I read somewhere tho, heh.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I read a while back, the act of accusing someone of a crime is severely damaging on it's own. For example, with rape, because of the low conviction rate everyone assumes if someone is accused they are guilty, but when they don't go down it's because the system is wrong, rather than the person actually being innocent.

That was just something I read somewhere tho, heh.

I assume that would be everyone but the jury?
    I assume that would be everyone but the jury?

The jury are instructed by the judge what they have to base their decision on. There's a big distance between that and someone whose heard something through the grape vine that so and so is going to court for a crime. It's natural for people to assume they're guilty.

Anyway, it was just something I read.