Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bastard bloody bastard council tax

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So me and my boyfriend move in with 4 others this year. We're all students except him. Landlord said not to worry about council tax, they never really check.....

But of course the bill comes today. 6 bedroom house, nice area, gonna be a nice hefty price. Over 2 grand for the 10 months we'll be living here. Ooooooh but thats okay he gets a TWENTY FIVE percent discount!!!!!! :D :banghead:

This basically bumps up his rent from £200 a month to a bargainous £400, wow, only that to rent a whole entire room, BARGAIN!!!!

So please can someone explain to me why when someone is renting one room do they have to pay council tax for the entire fucking house?!?!?!

Three of us are willing to chip and help but i dont know how much any of us can. And the other 2 probably won't help at all.

I know there's nothing we can really do about this so really it's just a rant. But if anyone wants to rant or just say anything that might make me feel better please do. God would I like some words with whatever goddamn, tightarsed, bastard piece of shit that decided how council tax would work.

Comments

• Options
    Move out? Could he not have looked into this before moving in?

I live on my own and have to pay the council tax by myself, that's just the way it is. That's why students don't usually want to share with non students. I don't really see why the others *should* chip in, as students they don't have to pay.
  • Options
    what she said really, its one of the benefits of being a student.

i have to pay council tax every month and live in a flat.

its a bit naive to think you could just get away with it really.

i think the only options are pay it or move elsewhere.

i agree the students shouldnt really have to chip in.
  • Options
  • Options
    When I rented with students/employees mix in the past we have always split council tax bills equally - as the students know their spot could have easily been taken up alternatively by another employee who'd be paying the same.
  • Options
    Basically it's not the council's fault or remit to determine how many rooms of the house your boyfriend uses. Plus I doubt that he does actually just use one room as, to be fair, most 6 bedroom houses that I know of normally have a kitchen and a bathroom.

Cookie crumbles that way.
  • Options
    I might be wrong but I think there is a way around it if all the rooms have their own locks, then he would only have to pay council tax on his room as though it were a flat within a house (as opposed to the whole house, and CT is done on value) and then the 75% on the shared areas. It makes sense in my head, but I could be wrong.

ETA: Don;t let me give you false hope though as I REALLY don't know. CT is a bitch though.
  • Options
    You should check these things before you move in. My brother used to live a a non student with three students and had to pay about £100 a month as well in council tax with no help. Your not liable to pay as full-time students, he is.
  • Options
  • Options
    yes, that's what i was thinking of. shame the same rules don't apply though really.
  • Options
    I wonder why the OP thinks this is terribly shocking, end of the day you knew, or should have known that he would be the liable one, and shouldnt really have put himself into the position of taking the risk if he couldnt afford it.
  • Options
    thats also why if you look into renting a room and your not a student the prices are exceptionally higher from the outset and £400/month isn't that shocking although it would be pretty hefty for a student. it was a bit naive of him to take your landlords advice but at end of the day he took the risk and got caught and now he does have a responsibility to pay it - yes for the entire house with the 25% discount. sucks but thats the way it is.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    I wonder why the OP thinks this is terribly shocking,

Council Tax is terribly unfair and I find it shocking that more people aren't outraged by it.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Council Tax is terribly unfair and I find it shocking that more people aren't outraged by it.

Because they think it's better than the Poll tax for some reason.
  • Options
    Because they think it's better than the Poll tax for some reason.

I'm n ot old enough to have had to pay poll tax. was it better or were you being sarky?
  • Options
    i dont mind council tax, £100 per month, and that includes waste water, water and sewage charges and concidering my council is pretty good i cannot complain
  • Options
    lol that's gutting.

I don't see how people think that's fair either, the rules are clearly pretty fucking stupid.. but oh well, they were the rules.

I only pay £900 a year in CT and I'm OK with that as my council provide some good services and excellent schools
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I'm n ot old enough to have had to pay poll tax. was it better or were you being sarky?

The tax was based on the individual and not the house. Everyone had the same tax - with benefits being offered for low income.

Therefore a household with 5 people paid 5 times a household with one person.

For some reason this was seen as unfair :confused:
  • Options
    I guess it depends if each person was still paying e.g. 900 pa!! lol

Wouldn't put it past the fucking goverment
  • Options
    It is unfair, but it's one of those things we all have to live with.

My fellas going through similar probs at the moment cos he moved in with a guy who was working at the time, but after a month decided he was going back to being a student. Whilst they'd looked into it and he'd decided he could afford it at 50% just, 75% he's really struggling to do, especially since they have back dated payments as they didn't get it sorted early on so he's now paying just short of £200 a month to catch up. Although I think band C for a tiny 2 bed flat that there's barely room for 2 people in is ridiculous, when my 3 bed house is band B.
  • Options
    What outraged people about the Poll Tax I thought was that millionaires would pay exactly the same flat fee as people on £15k.
  • Options
    Hi everyone, It seems that all loan companies are under attack from what we read on the internet, no one is good unless they give you exactly what you want, I am not going to criticize but basically a lot of people make snap decisions, Decision on needing a loan and a decision on saying something bad about it if we don’t get exactly want out of things. Details on knowing where you stand right at this particular point in time are each and every-one of our responsibilities. Britain is in a crisis ”there are not many lenders out there but what there are making things really difficult because of previous issues we made our selves, We took advice from professionals and the difference in our personal finances have drastically changed in the long term we have saved money but not rushing but by making the right decision and seeking professional help”.
This discussion has been closed.