Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

fucked up keyboard

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
due to coughing tea onto my laptop (it was an accident i swear) I seem to have fucked most of the keys, ad have to use an on screen keyboard to type x.x

The thing is, i did it earlier today and only seems to be happening now, so im not sure whats caused it.

Comments

• Options
    When a spillage occurs, it often takes time for the problem to manifest itself. You will be looking at a new keyboard - let's hope that you weren't using a laptop computer.
  • Options
    You could wash it if you have a dishwasher, then leave it a few days to dry.
  • Options
    Yup, i was using a laptop
    Its fixed itself for the time being, and its working fine
    lets hope it stays that way
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    I used to have the same problem on an old work laptop.
    I just used to keep the . in the clipboard and paste it when I needed it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    fish94 wrote: »
    due to coughing tea onto my laptop (it was an accident i swear) I seem to have fucked most of the keys, ad have to use an on screen keyboard to type x.x

The thing is, i did it earlier today and only seems to be happening now, so im not sure whats caused it.

Gravity

if you'd turn the laptop upside down and allowed the excess to drip out it might have been ok, instead it's dripped in.

My dad once found a Tv that had been left out in the rain, he took it home and left it to dry for 1 month before even attempting to turn it on.
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    You could wash it if you have a dishwasher, then leave it a few days to dry.

That will completely and utterly destroy the electronics inside.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »

You'd think so, but people on tech forums have reported doing it successfully before. I wouldn't myself, but I have done the old run under tap and leave upside down for several hours after I had spilt cappucino on it. Water evaporates, whereas whatever is in cappucino probably doesn't! :p
  • Options
    A lot of the time, electronics and water are fine so long as the electronics aren't powered up whilst wet. doing so often corrodes the traces, and whilst it may not be evident straight away, it will spread and ruin the PCB over time. I often used to see this when repairing mobile phones...

IMO, remove the keyboard, pop the keys off, and clean it thoroughly with plain water. Dry it off totally, reassemble, and pray for the best...
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    It doesn't actually, take a keyboard apart you'll see.
    Since it's a laptop, do what I do. Take the keys off, clean, stick them back on.
  • Options
    get Dragon NaturallySpeaking no more keyboards LOL
  • Options
    Lucid-Life wrote: »
    get Dragon NaturallySpeaking no more keyboards LOL

That's an awesome program! Make sure you
    back-up your speech files from time to time. They can occasionally go corrupt, usually manifesting itself as an error message when you try to open your username.