Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

decent cheap fish eye lens??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
does anyone know of any that i can get that will fit both my digital SLR and a camcorder??
I wanna get one for some skate photography and some filming??

thanks
curly

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    the fish eye lens for my dslr is £570.

good luck :D
    Yeah, you're going to have to part with a few hundred squids for a decent fisheye lens.

What you can get, though, are fisheye filters that screw onto the end of your lens. I've seen them on ebay for about £30. The quality won't be fantastic, but won't be bad, and for an effect I reckon they're probably worth a shot!
    i knew i was gonna have to spend a fair bit, but i've seen some for about £1000, and i reckon thats a rip off, so i'll be looking at around 500 then
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    If you get a decent bargain let us know! :thumb:
    What make are you looking for?

Generally the 3rd party lenses are cheaper than the camera brand lenses, and can produce equally acceptable results so that you wouldn't tell the difference unless you are a pro.

I'd be tempted to look at a (very) wide angle more than a fisheye though. The fisheyes are cool and funky for a bit but then pretty much useless. At least with a wide angle you can still take a good landscape shot.
    I think overall these isn't much to tell between manufacturer lenses and the 3rd party lenses such as a Sigma/Tamron.
    I'm a bit buggered though because I have an Olympus with the four thirds system and so afaik only Olympus do lenses for it.
    One of the things that put me off the Olympus compared to a Nikon for example - Sigma do some though!
    http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/quicklinks/fourthirds.htm
    I'm a bit buggered though because I have an Olympus with the four thirds system and so afaik only Olympus do lenses for it.

Looks like Sigma do some 4/3

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/products/wide.html#03
    thanks Mist!

I don't know much about lenses at all really.
    Mist wrote: »
    I'd be tempted to look at a (very) wide angle more than a fisheye though. The fisheyes are cool and funky for a bit but then pretty much useless. At least with a wide angle you can still take a good landscape shot.
    fair enough, but i want to use the fish eye for skate and bmx photography
    JsT wrote: »
    If you get a decent bargain let us know! :thumb:

+1
    I'm looking for a nice 50-200 or 70-300mm lense so need to find a few bargains for that!
    What camcorder have you got? I'm pretty certain whatever it is you won't be able to use the same one for a camera and a camcorder. Unless you've got a professional camcorder with interchangable lenses, you're looking at a lens adapter. They tend to be camcorder-specific, so you'll need to know the model. Just a quick search, I've found this one for those consumer Canon camcorders, and this one for Sony semi-pro camcorders. I don't know what sort of quality to expect from the first one. Obviously, they tend to go up in price in line with the camcorders they're designed to fit to. And some of the newer cheap camcorders are designed in such a way that it would be impossible to fit an lens adapter to them.
    i've got a canon xh a1, so it is profesional, i only got it cos my dad won it in a compertition at his job and he didn;t want it so it was either sell it on ebay or give it to me
    so i should think that it would fit
    if not i can probaly get an adapter,
    really need to use that camcorder, used it like 3 times
    Here you go then. £65. I think that should fit, but best to check.
    curly_boy wrote: »
    i've got a canon xh a1, so it is profesional, i only got it cos my dad won it in a compertition at his job and he didn;t want it so it was either sell it on ebay or give it to me
    so i should think that it would fit
    if not i can probaly get an adapter,
    really need to use that camcorder, used it like 3 times
    I think if I had one of those I'd use it!
    yeah, i've started using it more now
    and i'm bout to order that lens

which is good cos in a couple of weeks i'm going on a streetboard trip and i'm the photographer for trip, the mag thats organising it is paying me about £350 for skating and photography which are 2 things i love and an extra £50 for each photo they use of mine and an extra £50 for every clip they use of my filming