Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Best season ever

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Jim V wrote: »
Now hurry up and come up with a thread for best season rather than series conclusion - I'd rather be embarrassed by a wealth of riches than snuffling around for the few truffles :)

For Jim V (though truffles on a weight comparison are worth more than gold:D )

What's the top five best seasons ever

In no order

1) Blackadder the Third - getting rid of Tim McInery (spelling) and replacing him with Hugh Laurie was an inspired move. Blackadder is never more oily, snide and cunning than in this season. It may not have the pathos of the final episode of Blackadder goes Fourth, but it has more laughs and imhnio is the shows pinnacle.

2) Desperate Housewives Season 1 - they've been trying to replicate ever since and never got it. It starts with a suicide and whole season is a look at the creepy side behind surburbia as we figure out why... It's a darkness painted in garish colours and with comedic asides.

3) Angel Season 3 - In Holtz there is a believable 'villain', I mean if someone turned one of my daughter's into a vampire I might want revenge. But it's not just Holtz which makes it brilliant, Darla staking herself when she realises that once she gives birth she'll become just a blood-sucking vampire, Wesley's willingness to sacrifice everything (including morality) to do the right thing, even getting the first hints of Lilah's humanity.

4) Lost Season 4 - A punch to the gut, as we realise that some of the Oceanic Survivors are off the island. It's flashforwards show all is not well and throws more questions are way, hints about a battle between good and evil (except we don't know which is which which is twinned in the battle of wills between Jack and Locke. Lost remains one of the best things on television; a fine counterpoint to anyone who says American TV is crap.

5) Dr Who - the new series - Season 3 - In my mind the best companion was Martha Jones, who grew on me more quickly than either Rose or Donna. Most series have at least a couple of duds, this doesn't have any (and the one episode I thought was, turns out on further viewing to be damn good). The Face of Boa's final worlds herald the season's overarching plot, "You are not alone", but to get their we have to enjoy such masterpieces as the Family of Blood and Blink. The final hint over who the Face of Boa is strikes me as one of the Doctor's most tragic scenes, "You are not alone" is not only about there being another Timelord, but about not being the only person who has seen the rest of their species die.

Whew - I found that harder than best last episodes. There's plenty of great seasons, but to find five which don't have any wasted episodes - that's difficult.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    1) Blackadder the Third - getting rid of Tim McInery (spelling) and replacing him with Hugh Laurie was an inspired move. Blackadder is never more oily, snide and cunning than in this season. It may not have the pathos of the final episode of Blackadder goes Fourth, but it has more laughs and imhnio is the shows pinnacle.
    I agree.

"Well, in that case, sir, I hope you will not object if I also offer the doctor my most enthusiastic...contrafibularities." :D