Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Three day week?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For those of you who work in manufacturing it might be just around the corner ...in a bid to save jobs.
Steel textiles cars that sort of thing.
I don't think it will work.
If it is introduced many people are going to see a big drop in earnings.
Will this effect any of you?
How will you cope?

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    It certainly is becoming a reality - and those who will stay on full time will do so at the expense of others being made redundant.

Dodgy times.
  • Options
    All I can say is that we've seen a large increase in teh number of questions on askTheSite with people asking about employers reducing work by 8 hours or 2 or even 3 days. It's really risks a serious undermining of what people percieve as employment vs unemployment - really throwing the figures and economic guesswork off.
  • Options
    my mum has had her hours reduced by half in a bid to make her leave voluntarily so they don't have to pay her redundancy. Bastards.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    my mum has had her hours reduced by half in a bid to make her leave voluntarily so they don't have to pay her redundancy. Bastards.

As Don Corleone said, " It's nothing personal, it's just business"
  • Options
    As Don Corleone said, " It's nothing personal, it's just business"

in my last week of my 4 week redunancy notice my boss asked me to stay on for another month. I said no, but then agreed to work a 3 day week for the month to give me time to look elsewhere.

Rumour has it that he wants me to stay on now, but i don't want to.

He said the same quote when he 'let me go' as well.
  • Options
    In 2006, my employer changed the working hours per week from 40.0 to 37.5. My pay scaled with the reduced hours, so it was a 6.3% pay cut for me. The 2009 pay had stayed unchanged since then.
  • Options
    People working in industry and construction are going to be the worst of as their salary all depends on demand and they are industries where demand is not constant or predictable.

I work in services, it's as busy as ever. In fact, I've actually got more money than I've ever had and am not feeling the credit crunch.
  • Options
    You would quite likely be better off on the dole than on 3 days a week... Unless in the unlikely event, you could get a second job.
  • Options
    We are all completely fucked.

Is that clear now? If you've got a stable job, now's a great time. If you haven't, you could be in some trouble.
  • Options
    Wow, are they really considering that? What they are doing over here is not taking on any new staff, but getting workers in some companies to work a 6 day week for no extra pay.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Is that clear now? If you've got a stable job, now's a great time. If you haven't, you could be in some trouble.

Even if you have your still fucked.

Up until recently a lot of industries were seen as stable and reliable but they are proving not to be, my own included.
  • Options
    We had a 3 day working week back in the 70's. Winter of Discontent in 1978/79. Maggie Thatcher won the election that year and we had 18 years of the Tories. :chin:
  • Options
    Even after several layoffs, my place of work has been doing 4 day work weeks since maybe October and lately they are only doing 6 hour days. Lucky for me it just the manufacturing plant and I'm in the office but you can tell it hurts them alot. But just to have a job still is something... but for how long, who knows.
  • Options
    This is economic collapse ...global economic collapse ...engineered economic collapse.
    The same [people who engineered the great depression have engineered this one ...starting with the Rockerfellers.
  • Options
    Banking was conceived in iniquity and born in sin. Bankers own the Earth. Take it away from them but leave them the power to create money, and, with the flick of a pen, they will create enough money to buy it back again. Take this great power away from them and all great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for then this would be a better and happier world to live in. But, if you want to continue to be the slave of the bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, then let the bankers continue to create money and control credit.” - Sir Josiah Stamp, President, Bank of England (2nd richest man in England)
  • Options
    For more than a century, ideological extremists at either end of the political spectrum have seized upon well-publicized incidents to attack the Rockefeller family for the inordinate influence they claim we wield over American political and economic institutions. Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as ‘internationalists’ and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure - one world, if you will. If that’s the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” - David Rockefeller, Memoirs, 2002

“History records that the money changers have used every form of abuse, intrigue, deceit, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and its issuance.” - James Madison
  • Options
    good thing i work in a school under the LEA or what hackney LEA became(not for profit organisation) after hackney went bankrupt over 10 years ago ;)