Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

yet another housing dilemma...

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i didn't think you could do things like that as well! i was thinking just changing some cupboard doors or handles and stuff...just cheap things...

i have to chose four areas within the borough that i want to look at, and then fill the form in.
    Yeah you can pretty much do anything, decorate it how you want. Put a new bathroom in, kitchen etc.

Although they do come round every few years and will offer you a new bathroom or kitchen to be fitted. Council kitchens are much better than they used to be, quite modern and nice now :yes:

Also if you do, do things such as put down wooden flooring and then move into another council property they give you an allowance for the floor when you move out to cover the cost of it.
    Ohh also you don't get any furniture - so you will need to get some from somewhere - if you get anywhere sooooon (as in the next 3 months) i have loads of stuff that needs to find a new home including a microwave, a bookcase or two, television, table, futon and a chest of draws.
    God! What's with all the negative comments? Especially shameful from those who have had to move away... surely they should be the most supportive?

TT, I know how hard it can be... I moved to a new country where I knew nothing of the language, had no friends and no money. The first month was a nightmare even to FIND a house. It's always really tough at first, and more than once I thought about going back to Scotland (NOT the same as running back to mummy i'm afraid) but it's never the end of the world, and once you settle in and have some friends around you, you'll be fine. Just remember to always pay your bills on time!

And at least you will be able to chat with your neighbours... all mine speak catalan... I can´t even say hello how are you :no:
    oh thats great!

i won't be moving until april at the earliest, but if you still have things by then i would be ever so grateful!
    Let me know if when you have a date and i can let you know if we are likely to still have them then - i probably will need to start getting rid of them in the next month or so but if you know what you want i can hang onto them - but will need to get them definately out of my house by May.
    i can put some things into storage, i have friends with garages!

send me a PM telling me what you've got, i know any place i get will be completely unfurnished. I've got s few things from my old flat, like my TV and a stand for it and a CD bookcase (got a fair few of them!)
    OK cool - i wil have to check with my sister/mum which bits they want to take back and which bits they want me to get rid of for them and then I will let you know.
    Ok, well next week i'm going to the four areas that i can choose to be offered a flat from...the borough as a whole isn't great so its weighing up things like transport and such...

anything else i should be thinking about?
    just the feel you get from the place, area in general, and as you say, access to public transport, local amenities
    i went to look around, and i nearly cried on the way home...its a horrible run down area, fuck all amenities at the moment, ok, in 3 years time they're will be more. But I've chosen 6 areas so i get a better chance at finding somewhere. my social worker was talking abotu deferring it, until i finish my course, but i think if i do that i'm gonna get mega isolated because all my friends will be this side of london, but if i move in this year i can transfer by the time i've finished my course.

Its a huge thing to think about...and the way she was talking about it made me have major doubts in my capability. some of the places we saw looked horrendous from the outside, a lot of boarded up places, the pavements were litrally covered in dog shit....

Ok, maybe i've got to used to living in hoytie toytie north west london, but the area just made me feel depressed. I'm sort of thinking abotu applying for the area i used to live in, ok its smells like shit because its got 2 sewage plants, but its a nice enough area.

i'm gonna be shooting myself in the foot if i don't take it. but fuck, its gonna be like creating an oasis in hell...