Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

For anyone interested in the Israel situation

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well I read it as if either one of the two big parties wants to get in, it is likely they will have to form a coalition with Yisrael Beytenu (since they have the third most seats), and so from that it is likely whatever government is formed will be more influenced by the far right.... no? My logic might be completely wrong, but as above that was just what was sent out in the avaaz email.

The big problem has been that either side has not been willing to make enough concessions. Although currently we are close *ish* but having a right wing government formed in Israel is going to make things more difficult, no? That's a pressing matter, no?

Hamas: "We accept a state in the '67 borders," said Hamad. "We are not talking about the destruction of Israel." -Associated Press

Ahmadinejad: "If they [the Palestinians] want to keep the Zionists, they can stay ... Whatever the people decide, we will respect it. I mean, it's very much in correspondence with our proposal to allow Palestinian people to decide through free referendums." The Guardian

I'm not saying it's all Israel, but I'm putting the evidence there for all to see - we are getting close to a two state solution! Hamas announced this AFTER the conflict this January. The WORST thing is to get a right wing government in that will refuse to open a dialogue (in a reaction similar to stargalaxy: "They are terrorists, they are not humans, they must be put down". Because if the two sides cannot talk, they can only fight.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's looking like the coalition will be:

Kadima, Likud and Yisrael Beiteinu with Netanyahu the head of Likud taking the prime-minister's position.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7898749.stm

In that way it looks like it will be quite similar to the current government, and whilst there may be no enlightened foreign policy changes, it seems the Kadima front may be able to stop any xenophobic moves.

It will be interesting to see how the coalition plays out in the first few months especially with regard to the Gaza/Israel situation. On a similar note, has anyone noticed Barack Obama has gone awfully quiet recently? Not about Gaza, but just in general... there was a huge celebration when he went in and then he promptly made moves to close guantanamo and now nothing lol.