Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

being a teacher

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've also started thinking about teaching. At the moment I'm at uni studying film and if i was going to be i'd like to teach AS/A level film at college (also 16-18) as i just loved the course when i did it.
    The only thing that i have doubts about is the amount of extra work you have to so, marking work and so on, and also i wouldnt know where to start to be able to become a qualified teacher.

I say if you want to do it then do it, you obviously have passion about the subject and want to teach others about it and help them so theres nothing to stop you.
    Hiya
    It can be alot of hard work being a teacher, but it can also be an extremely rewarding career. Why don't you try getting some work experience or a teaching assistant post first to try it out and see if it's for you?
    Also, have a read of TheSite.org's guide to being a teacher - you might find it useful to read the case study of the secondary school teacher.
    Good luck!
    (This is not Mist. littlemissy has hijacked for a few minutes as she is lazy)

My advice to anyone interested in teaching is to not do it.

If I could go back, then I would. I would not be doing this and think that in a few years I will be re-evaluating it all. The hours are long (even though there are good 'holidays'). I work 60+ hours most weeks so earn my holidays. It is often a thankless job that people think is so easy and knock teachers because they work 9-3 and have great holidays. Each year things change too. There are new initiatives at every turn and once you get to know one, another replaces it.

I would consider shadowing a teacher for a while, getting to grip with all the underlying issues and then decide. It's not the easiest job in the world.
    Mist wrote: »
    My advice to anyone interested in teaching is to not do it.

If I could go back, then I would.

This makes me sad :(. You were the one that helped me reach the decision about whether I really wanted to or not. I've been contemplating changing my mind while I can but I have no idea what I could do with my degree otherwise :/.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Franki wrote: »
    This makes me sad :(. You were the one that helped me reach the decision about whether I really wanted to or not. I've been contemplating changing my mind while I can but I have no idea what I could do with my degree otherwise :/.

Sorry.

I think that, in theory, it sounds great. It really does - you are making a difference in a child's life, you are imparting knowledge etc etc. But there are too many people who shake the finger when you are not doing xyz (even though it is actually impossible to achieve), too many people who should not be managers and far too many do-gooders who are keen to tell you how to do your job but refuse to get their hands mucky to show you how to do it. Maybe it's just my experiences, I don't know.

I am just disillusioned with it all at the moment. Roll on June.
    Sorry.

I think that, in theory, it sounds great. It really does - you are making a difference in a child's life, you are imparting knowledge etc etc. But there are too many people who shake the finger when you are not doing xyz (even though it is actually impossible to achieve), too many people who should not be managers and far too many do-gooders who are keen to tell you how to do your job but refuse to get their hands mucky to show you how to do it. Maybe it's just my experiences, I don't know.

I am just disillusioned with it all at the moment. Roll on June.
    I kinda get that feeling. Like you're being too dictated to about what/how you should be teaching? I know there are targets and blahblah but that was a bit what's been putting me off.

I hope you feel better about it soon though.
    I think that whether teaching is right for you is a very personal choice - I definitely recommend getting yourself into the situation though to fully understand what you're getting yourself in for.

I went to camp in America working with 7-16 year olds and I'm currently working as a cover supervisor (basically I'm a permenant 'supply teacher' without actually having any of the qualifications - I watch classes in the absence of teachers) and my experience has been an eye opener. It hasn't put me off going into teacher training - GTP or PGCE route but it's definitely made me realise that a lot has changed even in the 5 years since I was at secondary and todays schools can be extremely challenging and you've got to have the grit to do the job.

In my position I've questioned teachers and and teachers-in-training and found that GTP students (on the job trained teachers) feel unsupported and overwhelmed by the amount of responsibilities being chucked at them. The PGCE seem to be breezing through but have a considerably reduced timetable and not quite the same reality as the GTP's just yet.

I've been doing my reading a lot recently - for me it feels like a massive decision and I need to put it all in perspective - as I'm 21 years old. If I change my mind or decide to do other things a lil later down the line, that's ok and that is important to bear in mind. A quote from a book called 'Learning and Teaching in Secondary Schools' edited by Viv Ellis (like a colletion of essays) says at the start;

"...most trainees feel...that not only have they learned a lot about teaching and learning but they have also learned a lot about themselves. For most, this acts as confimation...For some, however,...it will confirm that teaching is not for them. This is an important decision that carries with it no sense of failure "

I think I want to be a college drama teacher. Most of the kids are challenging, it is awesome to build relationships with the kids - especially for me when my easiest kids are the bane of most teachers lives - it's also made me consider youth work as a knock on effect. You just need to try it, do your research. The other day (prompting me to apply for a union application form tonight!) a 14 year old found a knife in a drawer of a teachers desk in a classroom I was manning (he was looking for a pencil) and he's the sort of kid you don't want to see with a knife. Getting it off him firmly but carefully made my heart race and helped me to realise that I need more support and preparation for a teaching role if I'm to be taken seriously and know how to deal with what the job entails.

Wow - I wrote a lot! Sorry - it's something that I'm thinking of doing and I tend to runaway with the subject a lot as I'm unsure myself! Hope this helps someone!
    Franki wrote: »

you may not hate it though :) people like different things.

i know two people who love teaching. i know one girl who teachers 4/5 year olds (reception) kids and absolutely loves her job although its not as hard as teaching older kids she says (she has taught kids of different ages). she loves her job that much though that she looks forward to going into work.

i used to live with a girl who is a teacher too. she teaches year 4/5 kids and she loves it. i never heard her complain. she loves her job, really enjoys it. she did have to work alot of hours but it was mainly marking/class planning which she didn't mind as she could sit in the comfort of her own home doing it in front of the telly :p

although, i know a guy in work who has done the pcge - originally wanted to teach biology in secondary schools. he did it for a year then quit as he hated it that much.

like i say, people like different things. don't give up on something just because someone else doesn't like it as you may :)
    like i say, people like different things. don't give up on something just because someone else doesn't like it as you may :)

Oh, I know. It's not just that. I've been pretty undecided about it for a while now, which I suppose is why I chose to go the PGCE route rather than delving straight into an education degree and changing my mind half-way through.
    I'm thinking about going into teaching at the moment although I'm worried I wouldn't be able to cope with the long hours or the stress and workload.
    I decided to do TEFL as I wanted to experince travel and teaching to see if I would like it as a career further down the line...Currently in China teaching young kids and its going good so far, apart from the fact that im on my own and im finding it very difficult to meet english speakers to converse with or even go out! I signed up for an internship with i-to-i who told us that we would be living with other teachers and it would be a life changing experince, sadly they where not true to their word as im now on my own with the closest other intern being a 15 hour train journey! So yeah be careful if you do a TEFL internship as they are not always what you expect, but it is a good way of getting a vibe for teaching a class and its also a good thing to have if you want to travel and teach..
    I'm currently doing a secondary PGCE, feel free to PM if you have any questions :)
    It's funny this post is brought up again as I have 7 weeks practical experience left of my PGCE and having commented early 2009 it's funny how things have moved on.

I'm training for English Drama and Media so field me any questions too :) PGCE by the way x