Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Experience?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive been out of work now for over 3 months and its getting tedious.
Im in debt and cant pay them and im struggling to live.
My friend lost his job in december after i lost mine an dthen managed to get another before me without even having to have an interview.

But whenever Im applying to jobs if the useless lazy HR bastards can bother replying its to say "Unfortunately you do not have the relevant experience"
How is this fair?
How am I ever going to get the experience if no one will give it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Try volunteering if you have the time. www.do-it.org lets you look for volunteering placements that cover a huge variety of things, including admin-y and finance type things (often for trusts and charities), CAB advice, all sorts that would be good to plump up the CV. See what's offered in your area and good luck!
    I need experience in IT as I have paid for a very expensive course but because I dont have the experience it is looking like money down the drain.
    There may be charities etc seeking IT support too. Have a gander...
    Mylo_B wrote: »
    I need experience in IT as I have paid for a very expensive course but because I dont have the experience it is looking like money down the drain.

I'll be straight with you - just get ANY job right now, if you can. In the current market, employers can get somebody with a lot of experience much cheaper than usual, as there are plenty of good people looking for work.

Yes, I work in IT, and yes, I know it can be tough. Unless you're lucky to get some form of trainee/junior role (have you looked for these?), I think you're going to struggle until the market improves!
    Ive been looking for 1st line support/Helpdesk roles and finally got an email back from one saying my application had been shortlisted but still havent been given an interview.
    Ive been looking for 1st line support/Helpdesk roles and finally got an email back from one saying my application had been shortlisted but still havent been given an interview.

Just get any job, sod IT for now if you're having no luck, just get A JOB. Any money = better than no money and waiting around.
    Most larger companies will initially recruit for the entry roles through temping agencies, so you may get a job faster though them than though an IT recruitment agency.
    To get an IT job, there are many freelance website out there, so you can check out them and in this way you will also get experience.
    To get an IT job, there are many freelance website out there, so you can check out them and in this way you will also get experience.

How on EARTH will this get him experience?!?
    I'm with g_angel. If i was in your position i'd be applying to supermarkets, agencies etc. to try and find any work to keep the money coming in. Try and get some barwork too to keep some income if you can't find any perm. work?
    Put simply, the OP is hanging around looking for a job that is unlikely to happen in this current economic climate.
    No. That's actual a very presumptuous comment.

Ive been applying for every job I can find that I am capable of doing or have done before.
    But I am also applying for IT jobs simultaniously because I need to get on teh ladder and gain experience.
    Ive thought about going to a small private computer shop and asking if they need a hand there or something.
    No. That's actual a very presumptuous comment.

Ive been applying for every job I can find that I am capable of doing or have done before.
    But I am also applying for IT jobs simultaniously because I need to get on teh ladder and gain experience.
    Ive thought about going to a small private computer shop and asking if they need a hand there or something.

My mistake - your posts have been misleading.
    It's easy for me to forget when my main concern is to get work in IT i wasnt making it clear I was looking for other more easy to obtain work.
    It's easy for me to forget when my main concern is to get work in IT i wasnt making it clear I was looking for other more easy to obtain work.

Where are you based? Do you have a degree in computing/similar?

I am trying to dig out the name of a testing consultancy that I know takes on trainees, although I don't know if they are hiring at the moment. It's not support etc etc, but in the long run, it will pay far more.
    At the minute I'm living in Bury, Lancashire. But normally in Preston, Lancs.

The qualification Im taking is for CompTIA A+ Essentials.
    At the minute I'm living in Bury, Lancashire. But normally in Preston, Lancs.

The qualification Im taking is for CompTIA A+ Essentials.

Hmmm... I'll see if I can dig anything out.
    Meryn wrote: »
    There may be charities etc seeking IT support too. Have a gander...

:yes:

Just go to the advanced search and select 'computers, technology and websites' in the activities dropdown. Meryn's right, volunteering would be a great way to fill in this time and get some meaningful experience - you never know, you might even hear about job openings while you're doing it?

It sounds like you're doing all the right things in your search, though. Try not to be too disheartened if it takes a while, and remind yourself that these are unusual circumstances with so many people out of work. Unfortunately it is a case of bad timing. Keep plugging away and explore every avenue and you'll get there eventually.

Here are some articles that might help point you in the right direction too:

Contacting employers

Covering letters

Job openings

Getting into the IT industry