Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Wigan - England - Time 4 A Change

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Over the last few months I have been contemplating getting over to England on a 3 year work visa. First step was to find a place I would like to begin at.

After a bit of research I found out I have relatives in Wigan by the last name of Beard. So I have decided to choose Wigan as my home for the 3 years.

Does anyone on here live in Wigan by any chance?

Whats it like?

Small and Cosey?

Anyone wanna have a drink at the local pub lol?

I am really excited. Now onto step 2. Getting pass port and working visa. Then save a little bit more money.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Wigan isn't a brilliant place in all honesty but its a fairly average working class British town - you are close enough to Manchester for the 'big city' experience. You could definately pick worse places to live.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Wigan isn't a brilliant place in all honesty but its a fairly average working class British town - you are close enough to Manchester for the 'big city' experience. You could definately pick worse places to live.

Well It is probably one of the main places I have researched. I want a small billage type town with the basics like good internet to work with as I work online. A place where i would be able to get a casual job also so plenty of work.

I guess mainly just a real friendly kinda village/shire & Wigan seems to be it so far. If you have any reccomendations please let me know. I would like to do more research.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Wigan is a nice enough place in honesty - there are a few people on here from the nearby area who might be able to help you out more.
  • Options
    Cheers.
  • Options
    Wigan isn't bad. The town centre is okay, decent shops and has a pretty new shopping centre. It is an avergae working class town, the people are lovely there, though just don;t go round calling them pie eaters ;)

It's not too far from either Liverpool or Manchester. Plus if you want to go to a town thats slightly bigger there are buses and trains from there to St Helens or, where I live, Warrington. It takes literally 10 minutes on the train to get to either :)

It even has it's very own football team Wigan FC so something for you to get into!

I've never been out round Wigan but my bfs band has done a few gigs there and says it's alright, not a bad night out.

There's a few other places around Wigan which would be good places to live like Goulbourn, Leigh, Cultcheth, Newton-Le-Willows/Earlstown.
  • Options
    i agree with what piecesofme said above :) wigans alright really. i was just there shopping today :thumb: and its close enough to manchester and liverpool for you to be able to experience some of the bigger cities.
  • Options
    Great feed back thank you very much.

Now Step 2. Finding work before I come over and a place to live. Any ideas?
  • Options
    You might find it hard to find a job, especialy at the moment. It's only a small town so you may have to travel out for work. All depends what type of job you are looking for :)
  • Options
    I am form wigan although i dont live there any more.

like everyone else said its ok, nothing fantanstic and nothing awful. Do you know where abouts in wigan you would be living? also there are lots
    of bars and night clubs so it shudnt be that hard to find a job to begin with even if its not what you want to be doinng long term.

Everyone keeps saying that its just a small town but its really quite big. I wouldnt turn up thinking that your going to a quaint little town / village because i think you might be dissapointed;)

if you want any more info just ask but i mite be a while replying because i dont have net access at home :)
  • Options
    Ok great thank you. I will throw you a few PM's.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Wigan's a dump. I used to work there.

IMO (and I hate the place ) but for soembody coming over to the UK, London is without a doubt the best choice for culture. Nothing's going to come close.

If you want somewhere quiet and picturesque then choose somewhere in Cumbria, the Peak District or the West Country.

but there is nothing intresting about Wigan.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I agree with Skive. Only problem with living in London itself, is that it's so big and there's so much to see and do that people end up getting sucked into the London way of life, and may never see the rest of our beautiful country.

I'm biased, but why not look into living in Brighton or somewhere in the county of Sussex? Brighton's a wicked city... it's a typical British seaside town, isn't too big for a city, has a PHAT party scene and lots of art and culture. It's also surrounded by the countryside of Sussex.
    As for Sussex, it's a lovely county...has all your typical English scenery- rolling hills and green fields, the famous white chalk cliffs along the coast and some nice little towns and villages. It's quite rural, but no where is too far out in the sticks. Brighton city is around the corner, and whether you're living in Brighton or a Sussex town... London is only about a 40 or 50 minute train journey away.
    It's also not far from Gatwick airport, so you have access to the rest of Europe.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Wigan's a dump. I used to work there.

IMO (and I hate the place ) but for soembody coming over to the UK, London is without a doubt the best choice for culture. Nothing's going to come close.

Agreed. Please dont do Wigan. Londons the place mate :thumb: