Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

another electrical problem...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, i stupidly went and bought a pair of speakers and a guitar amp from a german company....they have been delivered, and they have european plugs...

whats best for me to do, do i change the plugs or do i use adaptors?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    either is ok i imagine. However, I'd double check the voltage of the unit.
    BUT, as most amps are mass-made for international markets I imagine it'd be ok for UK voltage. So, you may as well put a uk plug on it (meaning you have ground and fuse).

However!!!!! It will cancel your warranty, so if you want to keep your warranty/guarantee, use an adapter :)
    its a cheap amp, i'm more worried about the speakers...

they're both 230v 50 hz so i might just get some adapters...
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Maplins
    Weekender Offender 
    Assuming they aren't powered speakers, and that they only plug into the output from the amplifier, then they don't care what country or voltage the amplifier is operating on.

Cut the plugs off, put on proper UK ones. Green/yellow(earth) to the top, blue(neutral) to the left, and brown(live) to the right, when looking down inside the plug with the top off. If that isn't clear, then the brown wire goes to the fuse.
    they are active speakers, so they both separatly plug into the mains....

if they're european aren't they likely not to have an earth and just live and neutral?
    Because I work in computers, I keep a few kettle leads spare. I use disco lighting in my spare time. As most of my kit came from Germany, some came with euro plugs. Just switch them over to our UK kettle leads. Make sure that their PSUs are selected to 230V and you're ok. If selected on 110V, you'll blow the board.