Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Advice needed

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I haven't worked since leaving school with no qualifications (long story). One reason for having not worked is being way too nervous about doing interviews. Now I know I need to get over that and actually get a job. Thing is I have no idea what to say about that at interviews.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi Lyla,

Welcome to TheSite.org messageboards; hopefully the people here will be able to provide some help and support.

Don't worry about feeling nervous about doing interviews, everyone does. It's also important to remember that interviewees expect you to be nervous - otherwise you can come across as a bit arrogant. Interviewers are on your side; they are not in the business of trying to catch you out but make sure you'll be able to do the job.

Bear in mind that you'll only be called for interview if you appear capable of doing the job; so you are actually 80% of the way through the application process. The interview is merely selected which of the suitable candidates is the best.

Have a read of these articles that might help you:

Blitzing job interviews

Body language for interviews

Assertiveness

My best advice is to think about what questions you are likely to get asked (the job description / person specification is a very good hint) and then think about what answers you can give. It's especially useful to have specific examples of where you've done something particular.

And if you can, get someone you know to interview you (and also try interviewing them, you get a really good impression of what it's like from their perspective).

Good luck...

Olly
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks Olly.