Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Being on tag and going over your curfew

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My mate's tagged on weekends and last weekend he stayed out over his curfew because of the snow, he hasn't heard anything from the police yet.. does this mean that he's got away with it?

Comments

• Options
    he should have gone and contacted them straight away...i very much doubt he's got away with it...
  • Options
    Yeah I did mention that it's only gonna make it look suspicious if he doesn't contact them. Although I have to say I thought they'd be straight on his case if he wasn't in when the tag dictates.. unless they're actually giving him a chance to contact them and explain, god knows.
  • Options
    they will get back to him on it, they possibly do give him a grace period to explain himself, but either way, it would look better if he went and told them what happened...
  • Options
    What normally happens is that G4S (the company who run the tagging system) send a statement to the local magistrates court.
    He is then "breached" by the court and a warrant issued for his arrest. The time between being breached and circulated as wanted varies between 48 hours and 4-5 days depending on how efficient your local court is. They aren't giving him a chance, it's just the wheels of justice are often painfully slow! lol.

He'd then be brought before a judge and told to explain himself. He's going to have to do a lot better than the snow as he is normally obliged to contact his probation officer, the court or the local police ASAP if there is a problem.
  • Options
    Haha I'm not sure how efficient Bristol Crown Court is but it's taken 4 days so far. Thanks for the info, I've linked him to this thread.