Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

how do i know when i fuse has blown?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i have a lovely ikea lamp, one of the bulbs blew the other day, i've replaced it, but its still not working...

i'm guessing the next step is to replace the fuse...but how do i know when a fuse is blown?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I use the tried and tested method of changing it. If it then starts to work, the other fuse had blown ;)
    ok, i wondered if it snapped or changed colour or something...i'll go into town tomorrow and buy a fuse...
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Nah, there are no visible signs usually of a fuse blowing.
    i hope thats all it is, i can't go back to ikea to get another
    It does snap, but you can't see it snapped. Before you buy a fuse, take one out of a plug for a sec to test it. Make sure you get the right AMP.
    i have a lovely ikea lamp, one of the bulbs blew the other day, i've replaced it, but its still not working...

i'm guessing the next step is to replace the fuse...but how do i know when a fuse is blown?

You use a multimeter to check for continuity. But seeing as you're asking this, I doubt you have one, so the best place to start is by just replacing the fuse for one of the same rating. :)
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    It does snap, but you can't see it snapped. Before you buy a fuse, take one out of a plug for a sec to test it. Make sure you get the right AMP.

Yes - good idea. See if you can try another fuse from another appliance first. Saves a potentially wasted trip!
    Get a piece of kitchen foil and short the connection and see if it works. If it does (and you dont die) then it was the fuse. If not, its something else at play.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Get a piece of kitchen foil and short the connection and see if it works. If it does (and you dont die) then it was the fuse. If not, its something else at play.

Thats an awesome solution! If it shorts you just need to buy a fuse and its no worries, if its not then it does not matter because you'll be dead!
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    what have i ever done for you to want to kill me? :crying:
    don't understand this...

changed the fuse, hasn't made a difference...its got a dimmer switch on it, i don't particularly want to take it apart and fix it, unless i know exaclty what i'm doing...

just doesn't make sense, because only one bulb has blown, instead of all three, the fuse hasn't sorted it...

what can i do? i don't want to have to buy another lamp
    Thats an awesome solution! If it shorts you just need to buy a fuse and its no worries, if its not then it does not matter because you'll be dead!

Not necessarily, it may just not work (like would have been the case in luby's situation) and a new fuse would not be necessary. Though best to try with fuses.

I'm guessing if that the other bulbs are working and this one bulb isn't, and even after replacing it it doesn't work, it may be the wiring or something inside the actual lamp at play.
    Take the blown bulb and swap it with one of the bulbs that you know is working, from the lamp, just in case.

Otherwise yes something inside the lamp could have broken.
    i've swapped it for a new bulb and its made no difference
    Must be a loose connection somewhere inside the lamp. I doubt it would be complicated to fix but if you've had it less than a year take it back and get a new one.
    Did you check that the bulb was in correctly.
    Because sometimes I find the buld doesn't go in totally right and then it doesn't work.
    How long have you had the lamp?
    the bulb is in correctly i'm only had it since november, but i've broken the shade -its paper and i put my arm through it...

can i still take it back?
    no. you cant take busted goods back and expect them to swap them because you damaged it...

well you could give it a go, but thats not right.

Ikea stuff is cheap and cheerful, sure you should have got a bit more use out of it, but its not unheard of to go faulty after a while.

Bin it and get another i say
    or you could take it to a lamp repair shop

They will be able to fix it for you, or tell you it's not fixable :)
    not worth it for a £15 lamp...

i hate throwing things out when they're broken, its so wasteful, but i don't se how i'm going to fix it, when the dimmer is in a enclosed box and you have to brake it to get into it....

grrrrr at ikea