Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

More Trouble In The Middle East

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teagan wrote: »
    So why has Hamas allowed this to happen?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7852745.stm

Once again, Hamas have no concern of the consequences to their civilians.

What makes you think it was Hamas, or that Hamas can control the actions of every single person who lives in Gaza?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    What makes you think it was Hamas, or that Hamas can control the actions of every single person who lives in Gaza?

What makes you think it isn't Hamas? The group that held Alan Johnston quickly gave him up when Hamas flexed its muscles. I don't believe any other group in Gaza would attempt to operate outside of Hamas' approval.
  • Options
    There are, as it happens, plenty of groups and individuals operational in Gaza.
  • Options
    I think what Skive posted is beginning to make me reconsider my 'balance' view of the conflict...I am beginning to see the kind of blind hatred and terrorist labelling that makes comparisons with the Nazis less and less ridiculous (although I still think they're misleading).
  • Options
    There are, as it happens, plenty of groups and individuals operational in Gaza.

And Hamas, if it wanted to, would stop them.
  • Options
    It could arguably control many or most of them, but it is impossible to expect they can control everything and everyone.

Not saying that is what happened, since we do not know, but if an individual or recently formed group decided to plant a bomb, I doubt Hamas would have even been aware of it until after the act, let alone being able to stop it. Since we don't know either away it is wrong and premature to state Hamas is to blame for the bombing or could have prevented it.
  • Options
    Although I don't agree with civilian causalities, I strongly believe Israel has every rights to defend its territory and its people. But according to an opinion research why Hamas rejected Israel's ceasefire in advance, saying it would fight on. Hiding among civilians while targeting civilians is not justified.
  • Options
    Although there appears to be increasing evidence from Human Rights Observers of Hamas' complicity in reprisals, killings and punishment shootings of Fatah members during the conflict.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/30/hamas-reprisal-attacks
  • Options
    alanna08 wrote: »
    Although I don't agree with civilian causalities, I strongly believe Israel has every rights to defend its territory and its people. But according to an opinion research why Hamas rejected Israel's ceasefire in advance, saying it would fight on. Hiding among civilians while targeting civilians is not justified.

There was no ceasefire, Hamas ceased hostilities for nearly 6 months and Israel continued it's operations, and planning for the most recent attack on Palestine went underway at least 6 months prior to it's execution (hence: Israel had no intention of honouring the cease fire).

Although the Israeli elections are getting closer, so I expect that Israel will send lots of bombs over soon.
  • Options
  • Options

Which emphasises my argument that Hamas do not have their citizens interests at heart and the whole 'rocket' issue was to draw Israel's fire for their own political reasons.
  • Options
    Despicable actions of Hamas.

Though Teagan do you really think they wanted to draw Israel's fire for political reasons? Bear in mind, the recent rocket attacks where Israel blamed Hamas and promised a disproportionate retaliation, a Fatah breakaway group had admitted responsibility.

Both sides are playing the political game, but I would argue that based on the weeks and months building up to the initial conflict it was Israel's actions that acted as a catalyst and a spark, not Hamas'. (Remember again that they broke the cease fire first, and that they did not adhere to the peace treaty terms in opening up the borders of Gaza...)

Because Hamas do this wrong we can't just start drawing conclusions that obviously therefore the whole thing is their fault. That's just ridiculous.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Despicable actions of Hamas.

Though Teagan do you really think they wanted to draw Israel's fire for political reasons? Bear in mind, the recent rocket attacks where Israel blamed Hamas and promised a disproportionate retaliation, a Fatah breakaway group had admitted responsibility.

Both sides are playing the political game, but I would argue that based on the weeks and months building up to the initial conflict it was Israel's actions that acted as a catalyst and a spark, not Hamas'. (Remember again that they broke the cease fire first, and that they did not adhere to the peace treaty terms in opening up the borders of Gaza...)

Because Hamas do this wrong we can't just start drawing conclusions that obviously therefore the whole thing is their fault. That's just ridiculous.

Surely the catalyst would be the continual breaches of the ceasefire by rocket and mortar attacks on Israel and the spark was building a tunnel to try and abduct Israeli soldiers?

Hamas aren't some reactive grouping, now and then rushing to save the Palestinian people on their white chargers. They have aims and objectives, which aren't soley reactive to Israel actions.
  • Options
    Surely the catalyst would be the continual breaches of the ceasefire by rocket and mortar attacks on Israel and the spark was building a tunnel to try and abduct Israeli soldiers?

Hamas aren't some reactive grouping, now and then rushing to save the Palestinian people on their white chargers. They have aims and objectives, which aren't soley reactive to Israel actions.

Though it's widely reported that hamas had stopped the vast majority of rocket attacks during the cease fire period, and there was only an escalation after the November 4th actions of Israel.

I know they have their own political aims but the general consensus of what people are expected to believe is that they're terrorists, and Israel are dealing with an internal matter in the way that suits them. Hamas was initially supported by Israel remember, in order to destabilise Fatah. Manufactured then the realities distorted by propaganda in order to give the Israeli government something it can tag as an absolute enemy, so it can continue it's unlawful occupation.

What is actually happening is so distorted by the media that it becomes impossible to make a fair judgement one way or the other.
  • Options
    What is actually happening is so distorted by the media that it becomes impossible to make a fair judgement one way or the other.

That comment doesn't seem to gel with your other comments on this subject where you seem willing to make judgements on what's going on...
  • Options
    Fair point, it's a highly emotive subject and it's difficult for anyone imo not to be moved by the pictures we've seen coming from Gaza. I think it's reasonable to accept myself, that my judgement may have been influenced at times by what we were seeing.

I still stand by my position that Israel is waging a massive media / propaganda campaign on the whole thing at home and abroad with masses of lobbyists etc. Hamas may well be doing that as well... just not so effectively that other governments will recognise it as anything other than a terrorist organisation.

Someone else in the thread said 'they're both as bad as each other'. If that is the case, why is it Hamas that's recognised as a terrorist group and Israel as this nation under siege? I think more than anything the anguish felt by palestinian sympathisers such as myself (hopefully in some way all of us really) comes down to the double standards. Israel receives £3bn a year in military aid. Hamas receives heavy sanctions in the form of having it's borders closed off. The status quo as it is isn't balanced or fair, and thats why I place the onus on Israel because they are the side with the power / resources atm.
  • Options
    Someone else in the thread said 'they're both as bad as each other'. If that is the case, why is it Hamas that's recognised as a terrorist group and Israel as this nation under siege?

Because Hamas won't renounce violence, calls for the destruction of Israel, denies the Holocaust, uses civilians to hide its military action, Hamas's own Al Feteh website encourages their children to 'martyrdom' for the struggle, they forcibly quash dissent with beatings/shootings and murder etc.

There is NO doubt in my mind that Israel's actions in Gaza were awful ... but perhaps Gazeans will be more encouraged to vote Fatah back into power in their next elections (if Hamas will allow it) since Hamas has led them to nothing but death and destruction.

Hamas gives Israel the excuse it needs to justify their action. If Hamas were to have a true ceasefire and work with Israel for a peaceful solution, all the eyes of the world would be on Israel to deliver because Israel would have nothing to hide behind. Simple.
  • Options
    Because Hamas won't renounce violence, calls for the destruction of Israel, denies the Holocaust, uses civilians to hide its military action, Hamas's own Al Feteh website encourages their children to 'martyrdom' for the struggle, they forcibly quash dissent with beatings/shootings and murder etc.

There is NO doubt in my mind that Israel's actions in Gaza were awful ... but perhaps Gazeans will be more encouraged to vote Fatah back into power in their next elections (if Hamas will allow it) since Hamas has led them to nothing but death and destruction.

Hamas gives Israel the excuse it needs to justify their action. If Hamas were to have a true ceasefire and work with Israel for a peaceful solution, all the eyes of the world would be on Israel to deliver because Israel would have nothing to hide behind. Simple.
    I am minded to say Hamas and Israel are not as bad as each other. Israel is by far the worse party.

Af the end of the Teegan, you are not considering what is by far the most imporant fact of them all: that this is not an equal fight between equal parties, but one party illegally occupying the other people's land and subjecting them to decades of unspeakable abuses, terrorising and killings.

I'd rather judge people by their actions than by their words. Committing war crimes, breaking international law, stealing and occupying other people's and, subjecting said people to near-starvation conditions and causing thousands upon thousands of deaths has to be far, far worse in anyone's book than denying the Holocaust and calling for other people's destruction.

And yet, the far bigger terrorists and murderers are called the victims by some. Fucking unbelievable.
  • Options
    Last I heard Hamas weren't going about willy nilly killing their own people, but were trying to run the infrastructure and hospitals. That's how they got into power wasn't it? :confused: Because Hamas had set up it's own respite centers and such and was doing the 'real' looking after people on the ground. No doubt it's Israel's fault - if they had been 'nicer' then there would have been less chance of an extremist group catering for the needs of the people.

But as it stands, it was hamas as far as I'm aware who came in and provided the services that the people of gaza needed, and that's why people liked them. Not so much now as is evident in the news.

As of today: http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2009/02/20092592757311355.html

Israel has seized an aid ship destined for Palestine. Who will provide for the gazans...?

For what it's worth Hamas did agree to a longer lasting peace deal during the cease fire period but it was rejected by Israel (it required a withdrawl from the occupied territories, but allowed Israel to remain in the 1967 borders - hamas supporting a two state solution).
  • Options
    Last I heard Hamas weren't going about willy nilly killing their own people, but were trying to run the infrastructure and hospitals.

How about this for starters? http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/30/hamas-reprisal-attacks
  • Options
    I am minded to say Hamas and Israel are not as bad as each other. Israel is by far the worse party.

Af the end of the Teegan, you are not considering what is by far the most imporant fact of them all: that this is not an equal fight between equal parties, but one party illegally occupying the other people's land and subjecting them to decades of unspeakable abuses, terrorising and killings.

I'd rather judge people by their actions than by their words. Committing war crimes, breaking international law, stealing and occupying other people's and, subjecting said people to near-starvation conditions and causing thousands upon thousands of deaths has to be far, far worse in anyone's book than denying the Holocaust and calling for other people's destruction.

And yet, the far bigger terrorists and murderers are called the victims by some. Fucking unbelievable.

Aladddin, I am not saying Israel are the victims. I am saying, however, that Hamas could avoid all of this if it chose to follow a peaceful route to a solution - but it chooses not to.

Hamas KNOWS it cannot win militarily and Hamas KNOWS that it governs the most populated area in the world, but yet launches attacks from Gaza whereby any retailation WILL kill innocent civilians. Surely that is an unforgiveable crime in itself?

If Hamas did go down a peaceful route, Israel will in time HAVE to bow to international pressure because they would be no excuse left for them to hide behind and be forced to resolve the issue. While Israel has even the slightest inkling of sympathy from the outside world, they won't feel obliged to negotiate with the enemy.
  • Options

I see what you're saying, and I've said a few posts back Hamas' actions are despicable. But it is true nonetheless that the only reason they exist, the only reason they were ever popular, is because of Israel's stranglehold on Gaza.

Looking forwards, you say that if Hamas conduct themselves peacefully then peace will come...? But isn't that what they were doing for the 6 months whilst Israel ignored the conditions set out in the cease fire? It's true that it's a game of tit-for-tat and that both want to get the last word in to say that they were the dominant ones.

But it's not true to say that they are as bad as each other, because as Aladdin says clearly one has the other by the throat. I wouldn't be so sure Israel would bow to political pressure either. The scale and depth of Israeli lobbyist support around the world is quite worrying, with many who STILL believe that the majority of the middle east belongs to Israel by right. If these people are holding power over those who organise these campaigns, when will the end come? Bear in mind Israel has pretty much expanded in every single direction from it's inception and has not 'bowed to international pressure' to return to its own borders in 40 years.
  • Options
    *AAAAAAGH* Ignore
  • Options
    Looking forwards, you say that if Hamas conduct themselves peacefully then peace will come...? But isn't that what they were doing for the 6 months whilst Israel ignored the conditions set out in the cease fire?

Well, that's not true. Rockets were still occasionally fired into Israel and arms were still being smuggled into Gaza.

Rockets Mortars
    Jan 136 241
    Feb 228 257
    Mar 103 196
    Apr 373 145
    May 206 149
    Jun 158 87
    Jul 4 8
    Aug 8 3
    Sep 1 3
    Oct 1 1
    Nov 125 68
    Dec 361 241

In November, the IDF had to go into Gaza to destroy a 250-metre tunnel that was being dug towards the Israeli border, which was the method used by Hamas to kidnap Gilad Shalit in 2007.

Hamas were hardly sitting on their hands during the ceasefire.

(*Please excuse table formatting. I couldn't get it neater. :blush:)
  • Options
    Aladddin, I am not saying Israel are the victims. I am saying, however, that Hamas could avoid all of this if it chose to follow a peaceful route to a solution - but it chooses not to. .
    But that is not true- or certainly not the whole truth. Hamas has entered a number of truces and peace talks over the years, and has told the Israelis and mediators they'd be prepared to agree to permanent peace and recognise Israel in exchange for withdrawal behind the Green Line.

Time after time Israel has rejected this, with its very successful and mighty PR machine convincing the world they are the ones interested in peace and Hamas isn't.
  • Options
    But surely Hamas must prove its peaceful intent by first giving Israel the assurance it needs by NOT hurling rockets over the border. Israel are not going to unilaterally narrow its 'no man's land' to allow Hamas closer access to its borders. Hamas has to give ground on that so that international pressure can be brought against Israel if it hangs onto the land indefinitely. If Hamas were to take this step forward and after, say, a year, have not rocketed Israel, then I will be all for supporting (peaceful) Hamas and all for boycotting Israeli goods.
  • Options
    But surely Hamas must prove its peaceful intent by first giving Israel the assurance it needs by NOT hurling rockets over the border. Israel are not going to unilaterally narrow its 'no man's land' to allow Hamas closer access to its borders. Hamas has to give ground on that so that international pressure can be brought against Israel if it hangs onto the land indefinitely. If Hamas were to take this step forward and after, say, a year, have not rocketed Israel, then I will be all for supporting (peaceful) Hamas and all for boycotting Israeli goods.

until the ceasefire was broken by israel, the VERY few rockets that come from gaza weren't from hamas but from individuals who opposed the ceasefire and pro-fatah factions....
  • Options
    just thought i'd let you guys know that i'm writing a song cycle on gaza, i'll post some of my lyrics up from some of the research i come by if it would be of any interest.
  • Options
    until the ceasefire was broken by israel, the VERY few rockets that come from gaza weren't from hamas but from individuals who opposed the ceasefire and pro-fatah factions....

You know that's not true. Noone goes against Hamas' will in Gaza without retribution.