Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Poole

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
OK my next weekend destination is Poole in a few weeks time.

Arrive on a Saturday morning and leave Sunday evening. Anything special to do and see there? As usual need a suggestion for a good place to meet up with a group of people - a place that does good (but affordable) food and drinks.

And other random kinda things to see and do.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I assume you mean Poole Dorset?

if you do there is Brownsea island in the harbour, worth a trip. Within 1/2 hr drive there is Bovington Tank museum/Monkey World.

As for food - There is the Slug and Letuce (good for meeting people) on the old high street, with a resturant called Alcatraz opposite (food and drink reasonable), there is also Ma and Pa's italian further up the high street nearer town and several of the pubs on the quay do good grub and normally have live bands on a sat night, avoid the mansion house tho - uber posh and v.expensive.

it all depends on where you are staying really.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Poole Quay is where you'll find the popular pubs and resturants.

You're better off just going to Bournemouth though - 5 mins down the road.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    The place I'm staying in is kinda east side of poole - not far from Park Stone Station. Trying to find a nice pub near that sort of area for food and drinks but not too pricey.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    The place I'm staying in is kinda east side of poole - not far from Park Stone Station. Trying to find a nice pub near that sort of area for food and drinks but not too pricey.

I used to work in Parkstone. It's the bit inbetween Bournemouth and Poole. You're better off venturing into Bournmouth for a nice meal and a few drinks. You might find a nice place in Westbourne though.

Canford Cliffs has a few nice resturants but they're going to be really expensive. Canford Clifffs and Sandbanks is where all the super rich live.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Aint got no wheels - so will have to stick to the immediate area I think... whatever is within walking distance .. just going there for a visit so not too fussed.
  • Options
    There really isn't much to see in Parkstone and Branksome. They're not the nicest of areas.

A taxi to Bournemouth or Poole would cost you a fiver or so, a bus would be even less. You got the beach, good food and good places to drink.

If you want to walk I suppose Westbourne is your best bet.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    One of the guys who lives in the area is going to check out a pub near the water front - so that might be better option at least. Will have to see if I even get there with all this crazy weather.