Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Presentations

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What does everyone think of them?

I have only done informal presentations before like at uni etc. Gonna have to start doing powerpoint ones stand up infront of clients stylee in ym new job. Its all part of working in advertising/marketing so I better get used to it! But I think I'm gona be dead nervous when it comes to it! I guess once you've done a couple you're all right?

So do people get nervous? Do people do them in their jobs/at uni?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I get really nervous but I am getting better at them. I have to do them at uni and I've done a few teaching sessions while on placement for care assistants which was really nervous. I had to teach a clinical skill to women who were the same age as my mum and who already had years of experaince, but I got good feedback which boosted my confidence. I'm going to have to do them when I get a job and maybe for interviews.
    I've done quite a lot of them, at uni and work. It definitely gets easier the more you do it.

I did a course on presentation skills a few weeks ago. It was really good, part of it was being filmed presenting and then watching the video and going through it critically. Scary at first but very helpful!

I think the most important things are to: keep your slides simple. Too much text and they'll just be reading that and not paying attention to you. And know your material inside out.
    Yep, its like riding a bike. Just keep doing them at every opportunity, and you will become more comfortable.

Just don't let people see your nervous, fake confidence if you have to.

Remember if all else fails.... most people probably aren't listening but thinking about tonights plans, or undressing you with their eyes. :p

I think the most important things are to: keep your slides simple. Too much text and they'll just be reading that and not paying attention to you. And know your material inside out.

I agree and keep it simple use the slides to illustrate key points or diagrams pictures you can't talk about but you should be filling in the gaps not just reading the slides (i've seen soo many people do this and its not good). Also don't use any of the fancy slide transitions etc it just looks tacky and like your deomonstrating your skills on powerpoint not your skills in anything else.

Also never ever stand at the back of the room and hid behind the powerpoint projector - your making the presentation not the computer (again i've seen far to many people do this)

Lastly hand outs are good - but dont' give them to people until the end of the presentation as otherwise they will just read the hand outs and not look at you. But tell people they will get them at the end so they aren't making lots of notes either. If you can dont' just do the powerpoint slides but make them into a nice document.
    thanks for the tips people :)

so for those that do presentations, do you get nervous? or do you find it a breeze? and have you always been like that? i'm just interested to know what people really think about doing them as people don't generally like to talk about these things, most people just act all confident etc. which is what i'm plannng to do haha.
    I get sooo nervous when it comes to it. I love preparing them and making the presentation really good with handout's etc then when it comes to doing it I get so, so nervous :nervous:

I get a bit shaky and my voice goe a bit funny and I completely forget what I'm going to say so have to make sure I have little notes written down that I can take up with me.
    piecesofme wrote: »
    I get a bit shaky and my voice goe a bit funny and I completely forget what I'm going to say so have to make sure I have little notes written down that I can take up with me.

I get this as well. Plus I sort of hyperventilate.

Hate doing them.