Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

housing benefit question?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
were about to privately rent, however cos were deemed as not having enough income to cover the rent in the mortgage calculator the estate agent uses we have to pay 6 months in advance...

This will be all our savings gone.

My question is, when i apply for housing benefit will it go against me as they may think if i have paid 6 months already i dont require help with it?:shocking:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Didn't with me, but then i didn't tell them. Leigh paid deposit and 6 months rent in advance. Even if your rent is £1,000 a month that's £6000 you've paid, and savings of around £14,000 and under don't affect HB.
    rachie004 wrote: »
    why on earth would you need to pay 6 months in advance? :shocking:

seaweed wrote: »
    however cos were deemed as not having enough income to cover the rent in the mortgage calculator the estate agent uses we have to pay 6 months in advance...

Ta Daaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Didn't with me, but then i didn't tell them. Leigh paid deposit and 6 months rent in advance. Even if your rent is £1,000 a month that's £6000 you've paid, and savings of around £14,000 and under don't affect HB.

ok, thanks for that, i hope it doesnt affect mine either, our rents 850 a month so i need £5100

i looked at the HB form online for greenwich council and theres no questions on there to ask such a question if ive paid in advance, but, i thought if they had to confirm with the estate agent or if i need to show proof of rent i may have to show a reciept of some kind or a statement, therefore reveling how much ive paid? dont know how it all works but ill keep my fingers crossed...
    :thumb:
    It doesn't matter how much you pay in advance by as they always pay in arrears. So they will pay you in arrears (typically 2 weeks in arrears) for the whole time you qualify for the benefit. Hope that makes sense. You need proof that your rent is up to date e.g. a receipt, a letter from landlord, a bank statement showing standing order payments or other proof.
    RubberSkin wrote: »

I got told for every £250 you have over £6k, it's reduced by £1.