Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I Need Advice on Which Camera to Get??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok photographers
i would like to card a decent camera that takes high quality pro looking digital pics

i want to get into photography of taking pictures around my town
I'm looking for something that will capture color very well.

I also need a camera that has a rechargable battery(s) NOT AA Batteries

One of my friends reccomend this Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 10.2MP SLR Digital Camera to me, it's on sale for only $400, sounds great for that price...

but what do other photoagraphers reccomend?
any sugestions on a specific camera, that would work well for me?

Comments

• Options
    in SLR's I prefer camera's which use a CMOS Sensor rather then a CCD for bright outdoor photography

I wouldn't really go with Sony for such a high end Camera - Sony is a very fickle company that makes lots of promises and then changes it's mind and withdraws support for it's products.

They wouldn't even allow a 3rd party to sell a nice USB keyboard for it's PSP but they had no plans to sell a keyboard of their own either.

Sony came up with the MiniDisc player which could hold 140MB at a time when the only portable storage we had was 1.44mb Floppy disks. They could have made the MiniDisc the replacement for the floppy disk and dominated the market but were too worried about people using computers to copy music and since they own a record company they didn't do it. At £300 to £500 a unit that was too much for a music player but was dirt cheap for a storage device which such high capacity.

If you want an SLR go for a camera made by a dedicated camera company like Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Fuji, etc

If it's just a compact camera then it's not that important who made the camera, but if you want to be able to buy different lenses in 2 or 3 years time you might well find Sony decided to pull out of the SLR Market and you're stuck with what you have got.
  • Options
    If you're going to go for SLR then either go Canon or Nikon. I have an EOS400d and it's fantastic. Avoid the 1000D.
    If you have the money go for one with a full frame sensor as well.

Also remember, the quality is all in the lens. Replace the kit lens as soon as you can afford to.
  • Options
    Agreed with Whowhere if you are planning on taking it past being a hobby then I would go with Canon or Nikon. Although personally i prefer Nikon :p
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I won't go for Sony in a SLR for the same reasons as DG Mentioned. Personally would go for the D40 or D40X if you can push the boat out a little.
  • Options
    Another tip, don't be fulled by how many megapixels it says it has. Many manufacturers of compact cameras, and some DSLRs use this as the sole method of calculating how good a camera is, when in actual fact it is completely irrelevant.
    A decent DSLR from the 90's will still outperform a 12 megapixel compact camera any day.
    Like I said, the quality is in the lens, and what sensor you have.