Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

first gig!!! I'm shitting myself

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
HELLPPPP! right, me and my current band have been together a couple of weeks or so and our drummer has somehow got us a gig this saturday evening. basically i'm shitting myself atm cos i've got to write the song list for us to play, mostly its covers of bands but a few of our own songs

The gigs gonna be a sort of rock/metal/punk gig, we fit into the punk and rock sections but not really metal atm, heres the songs list i've got:

One Last kiss-madina lake
rescue me-zebra head
Folding stars-biffy clyro
Lets toast the rich-ours
hell yeah-zebra head (again :P)
lies in ur eyes-ours
pink panther punk-punk covers with the horns from our mates band

then we've got another 5 minutes or so, and i can't think of anything more
but i don't think we'll need it as we're gonna have a bit of banter with the audience but i wanna know what people think of that, i chose these songs cos these are the only ones i no that we can all play well

also we're recording a couple of songs for a myspace soonish i'll let you know when its up so u can give us some feedback on what we need to improve

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    :hyper: good luck!

I really like banter in gigs and think you're right to choose the songs you can play well for a first performance.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    take a deep breath before you go on stage and do a band teamy high five-y type thing...some reason i find it helps...when i'm doing a solo gig i normally have a glass of wine before hand and its all ok until the last 30 secound before you go on stage...

its a great feeling though...you gonna just go through the nerves to get to the good part. and if you fuck up, just keep going!
    ARGHHH! ITS TOMORROWWWW
    just had a band practise and went through the tracks in order and i reckon we're ready as we're gonna be, now i'm not so nervous, i'm excited
    CAN'T WAIT! i'll let you guys know how it goes
    Good luck! :)
    I might be wrong here but imo playing biffy clyro and medina lake at a punk venue is a sure fire way to get booed off the stage :s
    Good luck though..
    yeah, i can see ur point but i know a few of the other bands playing and their playing bands like biffy and our madina lake cover is changed quite a bit, we spent a bit of time changing it to our sort of style
    Good luck :D Let us know how it goes!
    Good luck!
    OMG! it was amazing
    we got such a good reaction and all our songs were loved
    i loved it
    i can't wait for the next one in a couple of weeks time
    been booked again for the same sort of gig, but this time we're a surporting act of one of the headliners instead of just an extra band

And we're recording next week, doing an acoustic version of a song so should be AWERSOME! :P
    well done!

tis such a rush...i have to get my band together and perform some of these songs i'm writing.

where are you recording?
    college, lol, i'm a music tech student so i can just say i'm getting used to all the equipment and i have to pay the technition like £5 so he can record it up for us (like the levels, and which mics etc) and to mix the songs so its all good
    are you doing BTEC ND?

thats what i did before i ended up at uni...
    nope, just a course, i have no idea what i wanna do at uni yet so i'm keeping my options open
    curly_boy wrote: »
    OMG! it was amazing
    we got such a good reaction and all our songs were loved
    i loved it
    i can't wait for the next one in a couple of weeks time
    been booked again for the same sort of gig, but this time we're a surporting act of one of the headliners instead of just an extra band

And we're recording next week, doing an acoustic version of a song so should be AWERSOME! :P

Well done sir! I remember my first gig was a disaster... It was with a deathcore band. They had given their guitarist the boot and then asked if I would be their new guitarist. So I learnt the music and asked how they wanted me to turn up. The vocalist said "Look as insane as possible. Think shock rock. Oh and prepare a guitar solo". I spent an agonising 20 minutes on a stage with three scene kids and me, wearing some rather marilyn mansonesk makeup and looking like I had gotten lost on the way to a wednesday 13 gig... We stumbled through the set, the vocalist forgot his words and the keyboardist stopped playing halfway through. When my solo came up I had already decided I was leaving the band. So I went hell to leather playing the fastest most furious riffs I knew. If the rest of guys wanted to look unproffesional they could, but I made it obvious that I knew what I was doing and how I was going to do it. But I digress. Im very glad your gig went well, I hope many more succesful gigs follow it and would love to listen to some of your music if you post it on myspace or the like...