Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do you think students should be forced to say the Pledge of Allegiance?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I go to school in the U.S., and I am forced to say it everyday.

Now listen; I am loyal to this country. The Allegiance mentions God, and yes, I believe in God.

But what about the people that are not loyal to this country? There are illegal immigrants in my school. What about the people who do not believe in God? Or at least not the particular one God the majority of the world believes in?

I just don't think it's right that we should have to say this. It's very unfair. :no:

Do you agree with me?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You have to say it every day??

Jesus wept.
    Where do you live and how old are you? Do you go to Catholic or some type of private school? How large is the class/school? I've never heard of anybody actually doing that (also in the US) though I'm pretty sure there was a "Boy Meets World" with it :p And are you really forced to say it? Have people objected and what has happened to them?
    I remember when I was at primary school. It was a tiny little village school, with no more than around 40 pupils altogether. Every single morning, we had to have prayers and a religious service. I don't understand why, as only around two of the pupils were actually religious themselves. I had the attitude of "bollocks to that" back then, and I still do.
    there has to be a daily act of worship in every school in the uk
    I also disagreed with having to say prayers and sing religious songs when I was at school. I just didn't say any of it when they did it. It pissed me off how everyone else just accepted what they spoon-fed us about religion.

That is true, but there are exceptions in the statute requiring that act of worship.
    Do you agree with me?

Some might say it's a form of brainwashing being forced to recite the same thing everyday
    I go to a public school in northern N.J.; I'm in eighth grade. I live in a very waspy town, if that makes a difference.

I sit in the back of my homeroom, and since the flag is in front, we always just stand up and do it, everyday. The principal actually gets on the loud speaker and does it for the whole school, and we have to repeat it. Since I'm in the back, I usually just stand there. I just feel too strongly about this. I mean, there are two illegal immigrants in my homeroom alone. (There used to be three, but one recently fled back to their homeland.) It's just not fair to these people...and not even that. It's so much more than that.
    thats very facistic...

we used to have to say the lord's prayer in my C of E primary school, but the fellow pagans and sufi muslims that attended were allowed to say something else, or sit out.

I'd highly object, ok, i am resonably patriotic, but to wales (haha yeah the country i've only lived in for the first 3 and 1/2 years of my life, but still!), but still, i wouldn't pledge alligance- what are you...the hitler youth?

I'd take up a serious complaint with the principle if i were you. just because you live in a country doesn't mean you have to be faithful to it. plus, its incredibly intolerant of other faiths...

go tell him your a satanist, and thus you have to pledge allegence to yourself...that would stir it up...:p

I mimed singing hyms. What a rebel! I remember the Jehovahs Witnesses were allowed not to go to assembly.
    Yeah, I want to tell my principal, but I'm not sure yet... I still want to gather all my reasons and etc.

Plus, most people in my town are Christian; not all, but most, and I know they will use this against me.
    fuck the majority, you still have your right to live your life as you want, if it doesn't cause harm to others...
    fuck the majority, you still have your right to live your life as you want, if it doesn't cause harm to others...
    Careful you might get him burned at the stake...

Doesn't that apply to Primary schools only?
    I mimed singing hyms. What a rebel! I remember the Jehovahs Witnesses were allowed not to go to assembly.

we used to sing "hes got the whole world in his pants" instead of hes got the whole world in his hands
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    Doesn't that apply to Primary schools only?

No, it applies to all registered pupils as defined by the statute.
    Yeah, I want to tell my principal, but I'm not sure yet... I still want to gather all my reasons and etc.

Plus, most people in my town are Christian; not all, but most, and I know they will use this against me.
    They won't be allowed to. They would be violating the first amendment by attempting to introduce their religion into a publicly-funded school. America's full of religious nutters, but in legal terms, it's a secular as you can get.

You can always play this from the angle of being ultra-patriotic, and claiming that the pledge is in conflict with the great values upon which your country was founded. Thomas Jefferson wouldn't have stood for any of this crap, and certainly wouldn't have approved of the addition in 1954 of the "under God" bit of the pledge. ;)
    You can always play this from the angle of being ultra-patriotic, and claiming that the pledge is in conflict with the great values upon which your country was founded. Thomas Jefferson wouldn't have stood for any of this crap, and certainly wouldn't have approved of the addition in 1954 of the "under God" bit of the pledge. ;)

Not only that, but ANY pledge would be in conflict with the word of God. (The God of Abraham,that is)
    They won't be allowed to. They would be violating the first amendment by attempting to introduce their religion into a publicly-funded school. America's full of religious nutters, but in legal terms, it's a secular as you can get.

You can always play this from the angle of being ultra-patriotic, and claiming that the pledge is in conflict with the great values upon which your country was founded. Thomas Jefferson wouldn't have stood for any of this crap, and certainly wouldn't have approved of the addition in 1954 of the "under God" bit of the pledge.

Ah, thank you. This information will be of great use to me! :D
    They used to have an optional weekly pledge of allegiance back when I was in public school. Gave students the option. I used to take advantage of the opportunity but stopped early in high school because the opening lines require pledging your allegiance to our flag rather than our nation.

Frankly mandating the pledge of allegiance in public schools has generally been found to be illegal by the courts. But there's still a great deal of gray area. And generally students who resist are in for a rough couple of years. There's all kinds of horror stories about the school's administration going after students who refuse to recite the pledge. Often times it's much easier to just role your eyes and take the extra 30 seconds to recite it.

If you do decide not to recite the pledge, my advice to you is to remain respectful. Stand and remain silent, or stay seated and silent, don't heckle or call into question the validity of the pledge. Be ready to respond calmly if you are questioned about your actions. Think out reasons why you personally choose not to recite the pledge and try to avoid larger issues like immigration.
    Careful you might get him burned at the stake...
    wouldn't be the first reason
    If you do decide not to recite the pledge, my advice to you is to remain respectful. Stand and remain silent, or stay seated and silent, don't heckle or call into question the validity of the pledge. Be ready to respond calmly if you are questioned about your actions. Think out reasons why you personally choose not to recite the pledge and try to avoid larger issues like immigration.

That is exactly what I am doing now.
    They used to have an optional weekly pledge of allegiance back when I was in public school. Gave students the option. I used to take advantage of the opportunity but stopped early in high school because the opening lines require pledging your allegiance to our flag rather than our nation.

Well now I'm just feeling left out. The most we did was count the number of days we'd been in school in first grade. I think I have abandoment issues now.
    Well now I'm just feeling left out. The most we did was count the number of days we'd been in school in first grade. I think I have abandoment issues now.

haha. You always have the option of saying the pledge on your own...
    we have 2 acts of worship a week

one on tuesday and one on friday..

the teachers always say say 'amen' to share the prayer and stuff but i never do because i never belived in god..ive been shouted at before but it hasnt effected me.
    Do you go to a public school or...?? Where do you live?? I don't know; things are really different here in the States. It surprises me that we religiously say the pledge, but it also doesn't. You wouldn't be suprised if you lived in my little conformed town.
    If it were me I'd just go along with it. American's aren't reknowned for their tolerance of people who display the slightest bit of un-patriotism.