Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Just met him and hes leaving for a year!!!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im looking for kind of advice or just your opinions really. I just met my new byfriend 2 months ago at my local bar, I was just out of a serious relationship & was enjoying being single which is how i cant believe how things have turned out... but anyway lol
We started txting and decided to meet for a date, hes not really my type so i was surprised how much i liked him so quick but we continued dating for 2 weeks and then he springs it on me that hes leaving at the end of june to tour austrailia for a FULL year :crying: and tells me that he really likes me but if i want to end it now before it gets any further i should, but i really really liked him so new i couldnt end it cos it would make me just as unhappy, so we agreed to just enjoy the time we do have with eachother.

I thought i could forget bout it but i havnt been able to its all i think about (when im not with him that is). I think i could really fall for him :heart: i like him so much as it is but im so scared of what state i'll be in when the time does come for him to leave!!! I dont know if I've done the right thing but at the same time i cant imagen not being with him now I feel like theres noway out and that i'll be unhappy either way. Should I end it now before i actually do fall in love with him?? or should I enjoy are time together while I can?? (cos we really do hav the best time together) & also we both agreed that it will end when he goes thats what makes it harder :confused: ??????

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well, thats quite a difficult situation...
    Umm, I guess i'd suggest obviously enjoying the time you have left together, even if you're not serious, but just hang out and maintain contact. If you want to get serious then just remember, that he'll be leaving so thats a risk you have to take for yourself.
    After that i can see three options, not start a relationship but remain friends, start a relationship and continue on while he's away, which will be hard being so long distance, or break up temporarily and then catch up when he's back, if you're both single.
    What's he doing after that year? I couldn't just cut someone like that from my life, just because they're going around the world for a year. If you think you'll fall in love with him, let your heart do that for you, you can't really stop yourself loving someone when they leave, you'll just keep thinking of them - then the memories come back. Then you are back in the same circle.

Even if you keep in contact with him, you'd get back into the same situation as you can't wait for him to come back. But it depends on what you're both after, you could wait the whole year, he comes back, you guys don't date. Then what?

Have you told him?
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Well, thats quite a difficult situation...
    Umm, I guess i'd suggest obviously enjoying the time you have left together, even if you're not serious, but just hang out and maintain contact. If you want to get serious then just remember, that he'll be leaving so thats a risk you have to take for yourself.

It already is kind of serious... well as serious as it can be after 2 months, we see each other nearly all the time. I know what you mean it is my risk whether or not im prepared to get hurt or not, noone else can help me with that i suppose lol thanks u've helped me out :thumb:
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    What's he doing after that year? I couldn't just cut someone like that from my life, just because they're going around the world for a year. If you think you'll fall in love with him, let your heart do that for you, you can't really stop yourself loving someone when they leave, you'll just keep thinking of them - then the memories come back. Then you are back in the same circle.

Even if you keep in contact with him, you'd get back into the same situation as you can't wait for him to come back. But it depends on what you're both after, you could wait the whole year, he comes back, you guys don't date. Then what?

Have you told him?

Well the thoughts ive had so far is that we'll see each other untill he leaves & we will keep in contact emails ect and we'll probaly do this until we eventually lose touch as he'll be doing his thing & i'll be doing mine and then if its meant to be I suppose we'll probaly get in contact again when he gets back & if not it maybe just wasn't meant to be lol