Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Best place abroad with a baby and best hotel?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
We want to go abroad in September, our baby will be 20 months old.

We like the look of Alcudia in Majorca, and have seen a lovely hotel called Continental Hotel Park in Alcudia, but what I dont get is... on a review site someone gave it 1/10 in August 08, but then someone gave it 10/10 in August 08:banghead: Okayyyyyy then!

I have never been abroad, and want it to be so special, but all the reviews of any hotel is putting me off, I know your going to get bad ones, I dont think I should look and just book one!

So can anyone recommed a nice hotel/place to stay, not too hot and good value for money, we want all inclusive aswell.

Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    don't go to spain in september if you don't want it to be too hot, because it will still be pretty damn hot...
  • Options
    the thing with hotel reviews is simply you just CANT please everyone. so someone might have the time of their lives while another person might think everything is crap. try and not let them put you off, i mean unless everybodys saying its a shithole then its probably gonna be fine :] i worked in a hotel in menorca for 7 months, as a childrens rep, and we used to go on those kind of websites and read the reviews, and even though it was a lovely hotel, there were a fair few bad reviews and they were mainly unjustified.

i cant recommend anywhere to stay sorry, but i think september will be fine with a little un', it IS still hot but particularly towards the later end of the month you should be fine, obviously avoiding the hottest times of the day :) i ran the creche and september was my busiest month as so many couples came on holiday with their little uns, to avoid the mega heat.
  • Options
    My friend and her family went to that hotel in 2000 (It might've changed since then of course) and they loved it.
    The hotel I went to in Bulgaria had some bad reviews but I actually really liked it the only thing I didn't like was the lack of aircon but it didn't bother me too much. You can't please everyone.
  • Options
    Gran canaria bril i went portugal praira de oura think it spelt that way end sept 2week i got 2 daughters who had just turn 6yr old + 2yr old end august first time abroad and they loved it
    Wasnt too hot just nice nice and warm at night gorg place friendly people we was right on beach nicest beach ive seen im lucky as my mum +dad have points get 5star plus place anywhere in world we only pay flights and spends the flights manchester to portugal me+my partner 350quid my mum+dad paid for girls part as birthday presies that save us 350quid too we took grand too in spends euro was 1.25 last sept it only 1.03 now
  • Options
    What i normally do when looking at reviews is to read the first one or two good ones to see what they are praising and saying is good about the hotel then only look at the bad ones to see what people have complained about. Then I look at all of the bad points and decide weather its something that would ruin my holiday or not. So if for example its something like there was no bell boy to carry my bags to my room I wouldnt' be too put off as afterall i've carried my bags all the way there i can surely carry them to my room, similarly the room/bathroom was really small I can usually cope with that as well (this is normally americans who are used to giant american sizes for everything).

However its something like the room was really dirty and there were loads of cockroaches then i might get put off - similarly i might get put off if the review said something like get up early for the breakfast buffet because the food stops/runs out by 9am or the food was really crap and boring and everything came with chips.

Also you have to be subjective as well - the hotel you described sounds like my idea of a holiday nightmare and if i ever ended up there by mistake then i would give it a bad review but thats because i'm much more up for staying in small slightly quirky boutique hotels which you might equally hate and would get really freaked out by.

The rough guides do a guide to traveling with babies and small children which you might find useful as well.