Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Knitting for Beginners.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey everyone!

Now, I know there's another thread on knitting but I wanted to post one so that people who are just starting out don't have to look through a whole thread and be jealous haha. I bought Stitch N Bitch and am gonna have a go at one of the designs soon (my mummy taught me all the basic stitches <3), but I wanted to ask if people have any links to any good beginner projects.

Also - I found a place to buy yarn from that's not online :D. Yay for yarn shops in Canterbury :D.

Comments

• littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    www.knitty.com

That's a good place to start with patterns. They label their patterns too - mellow is for beginners, right through to extra spicy which is more advanced.

I started with the calorimetry, which is a headband. It is a mellow pattern on there. Sorry, i'm a bit lazy to link it!
    And www.ravelry.com is a great place too. They have hundreds of forums with lots of people willing to help, they have a database of all the patterns you could ever think of, all the yarn you could possibly imagine and you upload your projects to it so you could see what finished objects look like with different yarn.

Only thing with rav is it is invite only still. You sign up and wait for an invite. I think the invite turnover is quite quick now, though. Only something like a few days. Well worth a look. And there is a thesite board on there too :D
    Finally, (sorry about the spamming of your thread!) even if your mum has taught you all the stitches you may need, a good resource is www.knittinghelp.com. I use this website loads as it is videos of all the different stitches that you could ever possibly need, EVER! Including some of the more complex stuff :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Knittinghelp.com is my salvation. I love love love it.

And Knitty is lovely. Enough patterns to keep you going forever. Nicer than most knitting magazines that cost money, too.

Join TheSite's group on Ravelry when you join so that we can ogle your wonderful knit-ness.
    piccolo wrote: »
    Knittinghelp.com is my salvation. I love love love it.

And Knitty is lovely. Enough patterns to keep you going forever. Nicer than most knitting magazines that cost money, too.

Join TheSite's group on Ravelry when you join so that we can ogle your wonderful knit-ness.

I would never ever have managed to make most of my projects without knittinghelp.com It is such a wonderful resource. And knitty is just lovely. My bank balance doesn't agree though :(