Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

comedowns...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey, i had a pretty heavy night last night and have had a really really bad comedown today. couldnt sleep and got really paranoid this morning it was aweful. i've had a few comedowns before but nothing as heavy as this. ive only just managed to get out of bed and come on here. anyone know of anything which may help me feel a little more human again? its the most aweful feeling in the world. i just burst into tears earlier for no reason. i want it to go away and for me to feel better! any suggestions?? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    sounds like the honeymoon phase is beginning to end! although it can happen if you particularly rip the arse out of it some nights

id opt for benzos if you can find any, diazepam/temazepam etc, they'll knock you out, or take the edge off things at least .. or any other sleepers

smokin weed can be very good if you usually smoke it, although be wary as it may potentiate the paranoia and anxiety

or if you can stomach it, get the spirits into you!

or the the healthier options .. force yourself to eat something - sometimes it can be next impossible but if you can force something down you it will make you feel a lot better ... preferably somethnig decent but anythings better than nothing!

plenty of water also .. and im sure a multi vitamin or two wouldnt do any harm if you had em handy

also 5htp is meant to be very good for comedowns (due to depleted sertonin levels) although personally ive never bothered so cant really comment

really though just sit it out and remind yourself you'll be ok tommorrow, at least mostly. ive had a few hairy comedowns where ive managed to convince myself ive turned myself into a cabbage and there was no going back (guts of 20 e's etc :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: )

good luck! this is what sundays are for!!! :)
  • Options
    I find 5-HTP helps. It can be from suppliments or also from bananas and some other foods. A drink too. Besides chemical cures...

Try and be around friends - I find just having someone to talk to helps you put things into perspective.

I find there are two main problems on a comedown: a general feeling of dread, and random irrational negative thoughts. The dread can be helped by doing fun things like watching a comedy movie or just generally distracting yourself. Sleep is the best distraction! The bad thoughts and fears I find can be avoided if you just try to think rationally about things.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Good healthy food and drink and most importantly sleep.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Good healthy food and drink and most importantly sleep.

I agree 100%.

I find that a Berocca (the effervescent, as it's easier to get down) helps, as after a big mission, getting plenty of vitamins back in your system is a winner.
  • Options
    Getting out of bed as the most difficult for me coming near the end of my binge. I'm glad that I could now not even think about popping pills, makes me feel sick.

Although if I knew it would be the honeymoon period all over again, I would jump right in and neck another hundred :D:D
  • Options
    what is 5htp ?
  • Options
    brad18 wrote: »
    what is 5htp ?

It's 5-Hydroxytryptophan - it's thought to increase serotnin production. Found in small amounts in white meat and cheese and sold as an over the counter supplement (though that's according to wikipedia so don't quote me)

Read more through the clicky -
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-HTP
  • Options
    I've heard 5-htp takes abit of time to build up in your system plus if you've done your stomach in the nite before it isn't absorbed well, you can buy actual come down kits which i think do have 5-htp another good way would to be replenishing your vitamins with a big glass of orange juice or an orange and cranberry mix
  • Options
    If your stomach can't absorb 5htp the day after, why would it be able to absorb vitamins?
  • Options
  • Options
    I didn't say it couldn't i said it wont be absorbed especially well (as it says in some of the comedown kits)
  • Options
    Custos wrote: »
    I didn't say it couldn't i said it wont be absorbed especially well (as it says in some of the comedown kits)

Do you think they might have a bias? They dont want you to buy the tablets which are much cheaper, they want you to buy their 'comedown kits'.

In reality what is going to help is fruit and veg along with some sleep. I would really advise against trying to balance out your feelings with other drugs like benzo's or booze.
  • Options
    What was you coming down from?

I had a pretty horrific comedown on New Years Day from dodgy E and the debris of a house party to clean up. I couldn't sleep it off because I'd double dropped at 4am and was still buzzing in the head, even if my body had passed out on me. We ended up writing off New Years Day and starting the cleaning on the 2nd of January, somehow still hungover. Not a fun experience!
  • Options
    Will always remember the time I went to a rave in Leicester on my own. Day of the rave was four of us going, and one by one they all dropped out (for very genuine reasons) and in the heat of the moment I thought FUCK IT i have my ticket ive got my drugs - I'm going!!

And what a fucking night, was loving it, no mates to pull me away from the sets I wanted to see, was buzzing all night made some brilliant friends there who I stuck with etc until 4am when I made the fatal mistake of going on the fairground ride.

When I got off... no house keys, no phone, no wallet, no MONEY, no fags, nothing!! Not a nice experience :p Serves me right for being a messy bastard.

Anyway after much searching around the ride I finally found my phone, and eventually was told my wallet had been handed into security so was back with that aswell - which meant the train home atleast!!

Dealing with my landlord and a locksmith at 7.30am on a Sunday, still fucked and pulling some amazing gurns, barely comprehensive of whats going on is something I hope I NEVER experience again....fun times!! :D
  • Options
    no come down on ket wooo lol
  • Options
    Dunno about that mate, when Ive really hammered it the next day Ive felt like shite. Proper fuzzy head, lack of appetite and a complete lack of balance.

Wouldn't say in the same league as pills etc but still noticable, hardly 'no comedown'
  • Options
    i only done it once and i didnt feel a comedown prob got lucky lol
  • Options
    z0ma wrote: »
    Dunno about that mate, when Ive really hammered it the next day Ive felt like shite. Proper fuzzy head, lack of appetite and a complete lack of balance.

Wouldn't say in the same league as pills etc but still noticable, hardly 'no comedown'
    BenJack_x wrote: »
    i only done it once and i didnt feel a comedown prob got lucky lol

Small amounts won't have much after effects. When you take large amounts it can be very dehydrating and can also induce paranoia. After big sessions I've felt wobbly for days afterwards, with noticeable memory and thought process impairments.
  • Options
    5HTP 5HTP! It´s amazing. Get it from holland and barrats. I think you can take up to 3 or 4 in one go, and it works wonders. Also good for period blues (which is what it is officially sold for)
  • Options
    +Chimpy++Chimpy+ Deactivated Posts: 37 Boards Initiate
    Hi there,
    5-HTP can be effective at raising serotonin levels, but rather than spending money on an expensive drug, you might want to also consider a food alternative to help with a comedown, as suggested in this article: http://www.erowid.org/ask/ask.php?ID=1750

C.
  • Options
    If you do want to buy 5-HTP, there are much cheaper places than holland and barrats. I used to buy it from a website called world wide shopping mall.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    5-HTP isn't a cure for a comedown, it won't immediately effect how you feel. You can't just take it to avoid a comedown alltogether.
    It will mean you'll recover faster during the week though and help avoid being so misrable for so long.
    Weekender Offender