Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

what can i do about the pain and how stiff i am?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been on crutches 2 weeks now, and i am now in a lot of pain from my hip, my wrists and shoulders. I'm very very stiff and i'm consistantly hunched up.

I've been put on co-codamol now, which isn't really getting the pain, but at least i can now think. i've been putting deep heat on various hurty bits but thats not long enough. I've got a hot water bottle i'm gonna try. I really really want a bath, but i don't have a bath to have one in!

I'm going to the physio on thursday, so i'm hoping something can be done then...

but what can i do now?

thanks!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you looked into TENS machines?

Wheatbags... Heat-patches/ cold patches? Hmmm...
    Relaxation techniques? - might not help the pain but might help the snowball effect it has on the rest of your body.

I always find diclofenac better than cocodomol cos it's an anti-inflamatory... But I guess you've probably tried every painkiller possible.
    heroin?
    haha, yeah heroin! i do need to do my coursework though!

i'll see if i can get a tens machine, more heat packs might be good...
    tens machine may or may not work.
    Hot water bottle is probably your best bet and cheaper and better than heat packs
    Why are you constantly hunched up? I'm guessing because of the way you are using the crutches, in which case your technique might need some improvement. Would be worth getting some advice from the physio on that while you're there about that as well as everything else as I don't think I can describe how you should be in words particularly well.

Another thing with crutches is to try and use them as little as possible, obviously you need them for when you're moving around, but cut down unecessary travelling. Things like the nearest seat in lectures, sitting down or leaning against a wall while standing rather than on the crutches, that kind of stuff might help a bit.
    the crutches are the wrong size, and the paedactric ones are tiny! i've got bad sores on my hands, and i can't use the crutches properly anyway, i get absolutly exhusted just going to uni and back which is about 100 metres or less from my flat.

I'm trying not to move lots but, i've got to go to kilburn and back once a week, plus i've had to go across london. I'm killing myself here, but i haven't got anyone to be doing stuff for me here.
    Sorry for being retarded... why can't you just go back and get the right size?
    there is no size between paediactric and adult ones... :(

I'm actually getting really depressed and starting to feel pretty hopeless. My friends are still inviting me out and stuff, but unless i constantly pay for taxi's i can't get to places. I am also struggling to look good with this leg, and everything feels like its going to pot. i can't consentrate due to the pain...

i jsut wanna cry, but the fucking meds are making that difficult

what can i do?
    Oh I'm sorry to hear, I thought I had it bad when the crutches rubbed and made my wrists bleed! Would you be able to have your friends at your place for movie or an order0in dinner? You wouldnt have to deal with the pain of going out but you could still see your friends :)
    i had people over last week, but i'll see i can get people over again...its such a shit going anywhere other than the SU bar...