Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

what else can i do to reduce the swelling?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
got a new piercing yesterday, and it was fine then, but its swollen up quite a lot, i've been sucking ice but thats hurting my teeth..

is there anything else i can do to take the swelling down?

and yes the swelling is normal for the first three days, just i've never had a facial piercing before, so no need to worry about the swelling

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What have you had pierced? presumably the piercing place gave you aftercare advice?
    ibuprofen.

soluble aspirin gargle.

they are both anti inflammatory.

Also arnica
    i've had my laberette (just under my lip) pierced, and yes, they told me to suck on ice, and keep using alcohol free mouth wash and to stay away from alcohol. i've done those things...

i'll try a little ibuprofen...

how do suggest i take arnica? cream or get some pills?
    Do you smoke? Might want to stop that if you do. And talking! Anything that uses your mouth and will agitate the piercing basically but smoking may well adversely effect the healing time.

Also did you have a ring or a stud put in? Rings are notorious for taking longer to heal.

Most of all you just have to be patient - having a piercing = swelling and healing, you can't actually avoid it.

Maybe ice lollies would be nicer than plain ice cubes. Also eating foods that don't need as much mouth action - crisps and toast: bad, soup and yoghurts: good.

Any pics?
    just put ice on it and for sure the swelling would reduce. better have it checked as well for there might be infection.